LegacyGT.com

FM modulator install help!!

basbal241b

Im trying to install an FM Modulator to connect the Kenwood Music Keg I purchased. Im not really sure where to connect the wires at. Also, where should i connect the ground wire. Anyone that has installed one that can help?? Thanks in advance.

Bit more info please....which wires from keg are you trying to connect to what? You know all about the lack of Aux in, and unusual aerial wire dont you? Or is that not true in Impreza?

jp

Im trying to install an FM Modulator to connect the Kenwood Music Keg I purchased. Im not really sure where to connect the wires at. Also, where should i connect the ground wire. Anyone that has installed one that can help?? Thanks in advance.

You need to get the metra antenna adaptor. From what I have read it is not out yet, otherwise you would have to try to splice the wire yourself.. :(

I just sent an email to metra seeing if there is any update on the connectors release. The connector when it is avaiable will be the 40-SB30 which gives you two cables and would allow you to make the insertion of the modulator

http://www.metraonline.com/i/METRAHANDOUT_2005.pdf to see it.. i'll post any info i get back from metra.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

For the music keg u need an adaptor wich kenwood sells....its and FM Modular...it comes with 3 wires....black (ground)...yellow and red......i need to connect them to something...but is it as simple as going to the wire harness...cutting the wires back there and connecting in the red and the yellow??

Yes and no.. Here is the page from the japanese manual (cuz kenwoods lame ass site is under contruction)

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/kenwood.gif

So You see you actually have 5 more wires to deal with... A/B/C are your three wires you're talking about. The black is ground t he red is power and the yellow is the remote shut off so it shuts off when your stereo does.

You can tap the corosponding wires on the back of your factory harness and connect them in-line. Or instead of splicing them out you could actually hit up the fuse box, with the yellow going to the accesory lead, and the +/- accordingly.

However you still have the FM modulation to worry about. You can try ghetto rigging splicing the fm antenna connection but I would highly discourage that. Since the metra adapters are available i would contact the guys over at audio-warehouse.com

The FM connection is the connector on the far side of the radio that has the smallest plug on it.. see below

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/adapter.gif

See you need to convert the subaru connection to a regular antenna and a regular antenna back to a subaru connection so you hook it up in-line with the fm modulator. As well as hooking up your remote connection to the music keg.

If you are not experienced with wiring and ripping your car apart i would highy reccomend ordering the adaptor and having a professional do it.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 2 months later...

Does any one know what color or pin location of the 12 volt constant and the remote on.

I am going to install a modulator on Monday.

I searched, but it wasn't clear which wires were needed to be spliced, and my Japanese reading skills are not very strong.

Thanks for the help.

Archived