LegacyGT.com

New Job: Comp car or $500 car allowance

So I'm deciding on taking a new job, outside sales where I will have to drive to appointments daily. Part of the job offer is taking the company truck (Chevy full size,1500, 2 door cab w/ long bed, std stuff) or taking the $500 month car allowance + gas card. The requirements for using my own car is that it has to be 5yrs or newer (mine is a 05 LGT= 6yrs old) and the car has to have to have a factory warranty/road side assistance... So if I take the job I would have to get a new car and/or sell my current LGT and take the company truck. So I'm asking what do you guys think, keep my LGT and use the boring company truck or sell the LGT and buy a car that I can finance for less than $500/mo... that is under warranty and less than 4 yrs old. I'd love to take the savings of buying a cheaper car and pocket the rest but if I have to give up my LGT I'd like to have a fun car w/ decent MPG for the job. All opinions are welcome, let the debate begin. :spin:

I'm gonna say go with the truck or something less performance and more luxury. Every time I was working with vendor sales reps, it was awfully handy when they had a big 'ol SUV that sat 40 when we went to lunch or something like a massive Mercury barge.

If you take the truck, do you you have to ditch the LGT?

I currently drive a 2008 Ford Taurus for work. The company owns it, pays for gas, insurance, maintenance and all repairs.

Here's something to consider.

I'm taking the Taurus in for a $750 repair tomorrow. Damage caused by what I believe to be a miraculous bird-strike about a week and a half ago. When they showed me the damage and what was causing me to lose tranny fluid at unheard of rates, all I could do was laugh. I will say that if it were my own car or if I were paying for the repair out of my own pocket, I wouldn't have laughed.

If you can keep your car ... or get another car for your own personal pleasure, then take the work vehicle.

I can either take the company truck or spend up to $500/mo for a similar car/truck. I was thinking that if I spend less than $500 a month I could get a new car to drive that would be better than the chevy truck and still KEEP the LGT. I dont have to sell the leggy at all. If I get a good company car I could then use the $ saved to take the leggy to stg 3 levels w/o the fear of being down a car for repairs/mods. I was thinking that if I spend say $300 month on a decent car I could use the savings for my positive benefit. I will take the truck home each night so my lgt would be a 3rd car for me.

also no matter what car I chose the company will pay for all maintence on the car as long as its 4-5 years or newer and under warranty. Of course they have to approve the car, so the chance of buying a stupid crazy fast car is out of the question

Take the company truck and be done with it. I know it's nice to think you'd have a bit of cash in hand but it'll be your car that gets all the wear and tear and you have to pay for everything that comes with it and the repairs and at the end of the day you'd have a high mileage depreciated asset. Keep your leggy for pleasure and use the money you'd save on gas and maintenance to mod it.

But my company would pay for the maintence and repairs, I would have 500 month in my paycheck for a car, plus gas and "normal" maintence. I could lease a car w/ approx 15-20k miles/yr and still come out ahead. The thought of driving a boring truck every day vs a fun car has me thinking. After 3/4 years I could sell the car and move on to the next car/truck... I could literally lease a new LGT turbo for way less than 400/mo, but was thinking more luxury as I'd be spending a lot of time in this car

Ok, I'll throw another consideration into the mix. One of my big customers used to give all their salesmen a car allowance as well. They were reimbursed for gas and maintenance, and I think insurance was considered part of their vehicle allowance. About 18 months ago, that company was bought by another company. The new ownership simply provided company vehicles and does not offer a vehicle allowance.

Here was the problem for some. The guys who had bought a new truck in the last 1-2 years, well, they piled the mileage on their trucks, so in reality, the depreciation hit on their truck was much greater than what would be considered "normal." Since the new ownership didn't cover a vehicle allowance anymore, these guys all took a bath when they needed to sell their personal trucks.

I see you live in Highlands Ranch. Are you just going to be making calls locally? Up and down the Front Range? Into the mountains and beyond?

Regardless, I'd say any time you can avoid any personal or financial responsibility to the vehicle you're driving, I would highly recommend it. Think of it this way - what if in 6 months you realize you hate the job, or your boss is a jackass, or you simply come across a better offer? Just turn in your keys and be done with it. :)

^good points Brady. The idea of getting a fun car on the boss $ does sound nice but your right if I change jobs then I'm stuck with that car and the expected loss. So I guess I'll do the less risky option and drive the company truck, thanks for all the input guys

I agree with everything Brady said, and want to add more reasons to use the company truck.

Those late-model Chevy 1500's are some of the comfiest vehicles on the road, at least if you're on the taller side like me. The seat is way higher than in any sedan/wagon so you get thigh support in a way that no sedan can give you, not even an S-class. You can stretch out in every direction. Visibility is actually quite good, parking is still a bitch because it's huge but you can at least see all the corners. And you get something like 5 or 7 big cupholders up front :lol: They drive much better than older trucks btw, the steering is numb but it responds fine for what it is, no dead zone or anything.

I know you were thinking about a luxury car but honestly the 1500 is comfier than any luxury car I've been in, even an S-class. The seating position is just that much better for comfort.

The biggest benefit: when you get back in your LGT it's going to feel like a sports car every time ;)

I agree with everything Brady said, and want to add more reasons to use the company truck.

Those late-model Chevy 1500's are some of the comfiest vehicles on the road, at least if you're on the taller side like me. The seat is way higher than in any sedan/wagon so you get thigh support in a way that no sedan can give you, not even an S-class. You can stretch out in every direction. Visibility is actually quite good, parking is still a bitch because it's huge but you can at least see all the corners. And you get something like 5 or 7 big cupholders up front :lol: They drive much better than older trucks btw, the steering is numb but it responds fine for what it is, no dead zone or anything.

I know you were thinking about a luxury car but honestly the 1500 is comfier than any luxury car I've been in, even an S-class. The seating position is just that much better for comfort.

The biggest benefit: when you get back in your LGT it's going to feel like a sports car every time ;)

7 cupholders, I just checked mine. 2 in each door panel, 3 in the center armrest. Then 2 on the back console for the back seat, even though it holds 3. :lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks guys! :lol:

In just 3 short years, I already feel I'm a veteran of company car stewardship. I have the largest territory geographically in my company and the most sparsely populated, and I drive every bit of it. 174,000 miles on the beast since August 15, 2008!

Industrial Power Transmission and Material Handling Equipment. I cover Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, most of Montana, New Mexico, and parts of Idaho, Nebraska, and Western South Dakota.

Industrial Power Transmission and Material Handling Equipment. I cover Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, most of Montana, New Mexico, and parts of Idaho, Nebraska, and Western South Dakota.

You could certainly benefit from driving a diesel.

453747.png

7 cupholders, I just checked mine. 2 in each door panel, 3 in the center armrest. Then 2 on the back console for the back seat, even though it holds 3. :lol:

Plus 3 more in the rear center armrest, if I recall correctly. So that makes 7 cupholders up front and 5 in the back. It's a very American vehicle. :D

I only have the extended cab, not crew cab. I don't think there is an armrest that folds down back there. Can't say I've looked much as the back seat is useless for adults (and likely for car seats too. I bet kids from like 8-12 y/o might work :lol:). I just use it for stuff I want dry/secure that is too fragile to slide around in the bed which is covered. Driving it up to Vermont for a weeks vacation tomorrow and that'll be it's first long-ish (200 mile) drive. Never mind that last week coming back from Boston (less than 70 miles) took as long as this trip will. F'ing traffic. :lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

I got more info on the job and it appears that I would need to buy something that is capable of hauling some items from time to time as a normal car wouldnt do. I would need to get a truck, suv, wagon... A 05 LGT wagon would be nice but they also require that the car be under factory warranty so there goes that idea. I'm going to take their truck for now and if I want I can change my mind down the road. Thanks for all the input guys

Thanks guys! :lol:

In just 3 short years, I already feel I'm a veteran of company car stewardship. I have the largest territory geographically in my company and the most sparsely populated, and I drive every bit of it. 174,000 miles on the beast since August 15, 2008!

60k per year!!:eek:

I think I would go crazy if I drive that much...atleast you get to ski a lot at different places....

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived