LegacyGT.com

Fender rolling

LGT_Ltd_wagon

• I Donated Too
Note to others. A fender rolling "tool" on Subaru's and probably many other AWD systems is going to be a complete non starter unless you have a way to unlock the wheels/pull drive shafts or generally end up having to do a lot more than you thought...

Ive been wondering if anyone has used the "tool" to roll there fenders and if they have had success with it or not. Its only 50 bux for a 7 day rental and alot better than the 200 bux that I was quoted from a semi-local shop.

• I Donated Too
it's a fantastic tool... but it relies on the wheel to be turned to allow the 'roll' to work. Since AWD essentially keeps the wheels in place, rotating the tool... with force... is almost certainly going to make the eventual diff replacement more expensive than having the local body work shop do it the old school way... sadly. :(

• 2 weeks later...
baseball bat works well......really I'm not kidding. I drove the car for a bit which actually heat up the front fenders and it's really hot today. I probably wouldn't do this in the winter. Just roll it along the tire and slowly add more downward angle with each roll, and after several rolls back and forth you have nicely rolled fenders no cracks no outside bumps. You can't tell from the outside at all. This seems good for a moderate "roll" I don't think I would go for a tight crimp but it was pretty significant and obviously I only have experience on my 06 LGT front fenders only, but it worked great

baseball bat works well......really I'm not kidding. I drove the car for a bit which actually heat up the front fenders and it's really hot today. I probably wouldn't do this in the winter. Just roll it along the tire and slowly add more downward angle with each roll, and after several rolls back and forth you have nicely rolled fenders no cracks no outside bumps. You can't tell from the outside at all. This seems good for a moderate "roll" I don't think I would go for a tight crimp but it was pretty significant and obviously I only have experience on my 06 LGT front fenders only, but it worked great

You have balls man! Great job!

We rent a fender roller as well. Tough to guarantee no paint cracking so were happy to help by renting one of these bad boys out

We tried a fender roller but they bolt on to the wheel lugs and the front axles don't turn so you can't use it. If you know a way to use it without pulling the axles out enough to spin free which was an option I didn't want to try. If you have a different type roller or know a way could you contact me because I wouldn't mind running a real fender roller over my work to "clean" it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGT_Ltd_wagon http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

If you know a way to use it without pulling the axles out enough to spin free which was an option I didn't want to try.

Quote:

Put it on a lift/jackstands. The wheels will spin free. Perhaps not in the direction you expected, but they'll spin.

Thanks for the info

We tried but from what I was shown/told they have to spin free in both directions because the tool has to go back and forth over and over again with a slight increase in pressure every few passes to work properly. They will spin in 1 direction but you would have to unbolt the tool and rebolt it back on for each pass not realistic and not the proper function for the tool as far as I have been told.

But I am willing to listen to any advice from anyone that has used a roller that bolts to the hub on an LGT or if any other type of roller that works

Thanks to all

Archived