LegacyGT.com

235/40-18 tires + pinks = rub?

mad99

I've searched and read tons on here but haven't been able to answer this question. I want 235/40-18 tires because it is the closest match to the stock Spec B size (215/45-18) in a wider tire.

I have stock Bilsteins, pink springs, and am looking at 18x8 +48 offset wheels.

I'd be great if someone who has actually tried this tire size with this suspension could tell me if they rubbed or not.

Thanks!

Here is an example of a setup similar to what I am wondering about, very nicely documented:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2029714&postcount=70

and VXCL said no rub except for rear fender rubber strip.

Different springs and Bilsteins, but the same size wheels and tires. Unfortunately the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is no longer made in that size, so I can't check the section and tread width; I think it is narrower than most tires that size.

Anybody have experience with Bilsteins and lowering springs and 235/40-18 tires?

I have run 18x8 +48 wheels with 235/40/18 tires (Toyo T1R) on bilsteins/pinks with no fender roll, no rubbing.

I did not need a roll until I went 18x8 +45.

MB Weapon 18x8 +48 with Toyo T1R 235/40/18 tires

Suspension: Pink springs on Spec.B Bilsteins:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f37/marky339/_MG_2638.jpg

Advan T7 18x8 +45 with Advan Neova AD07 225/45/18 tires

Suspension: BC Racing BR coilovers. 1.5 finger gap front and rear. Front and rear fenders pulled/rolled

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f37/marky339/NCAL%20Subie%20meet/NCALSubieMeet-31.jpg

I have stock spec.B suspension with the exact wheels you describe. No rub I can tell so far, even with 4people in the car. The previous owner said that if the trunk is really loaded, there is some rub under hard acceleration.

Thanks for the info everyone! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will order up some 235/40-18 tires and 18x8 +48 wheels.

wpmarky, thanks for the detailed info. Your car looks good with the Weapons. I have them in 17x7 for winter.

No, actually I asked two distinctly different questions in two threads.

1. Initially I asked if a specific make and model of tire in the size in question results in rubbing when mounted on a specific wheel size and with certain springs. As you'll note in that thread, later, after finding additional information (linked to in thread), I decided I did not want that that particular tire.

You may not know this, but different tires in the same nominal size (i.e. 235/40-18) actually have significantly different dimensions. For example, in this size the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tread width is 7.7 inches, while the Continental ExtremeContact DW is 8.7 inches. Quite a difference I think we would agree. Similarly the section width varies from 9 to 9.6 inches among the models I am considering. Obviously this is relevant when considering a tire that is close to rubbing.

2. After deciding I did not want that particular make/model tire, I posted a new thread asking the more general question about peoples' experiences with that size tire, wheel, and springs, and asking what tire they used and if they rubbed. A number of forum members responded with helpful information, which I acknowledged.

Finally, if I hadn't updated both threads at nearly the same time, you never would have noticed. I search and read extensively before posting. This is reflected in my lower post count, compared to some people who make truly useless posts. I apologize for using up so much of the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

...one thing to add. I loaded up my car this past weekend for camping (4 people, very full trunk) and the rear tires rub during hard cornering.

No rubbing if driven sedately....but then, I didn't buy this car to drive sedately. I'll probably switch back to stock later in the spring.

They rub!

I bought Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT 235/40-18, on 18x8 ET 48 wheels, and as I said, pink springs and Bilsteins. The tires rub easily in the back on slight dips in the road or cornering, especially while accelerating. They rub when the gas tank is practically empty. I think the fronts might rub too.

For reference, these tires have relatively narrow tread width, 7.7 inch, average section width, 9.5 inch, outer diameter slightly smaller than stock, 25.4 vs 25.7 inch, measured on 8.5 inch wheel. 8 inch is the narrowest recommended wheel.

I removed the rubber strips on the rear fenders and they still rub. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where they are rubbing; any suggestions?

I would consider rolling the rear fenders if I was absolutely sure it would fix it. But most likely these tires and wheels will soon be for sale, unfortunately.

Taking off the rubber strips on the rear fenders has certainly reduced the rubbing. I put strips of masking tape on the edges of the fenders to try to see where and how much it is rubbing, but it's not working very well.

Anyone have a suggestion for determining how much it is rubbing? I really don't want to roll the fenders, but I would if I could be sure it would only take a slight roll and it would fix the problem.

Archived