LegacyGT.com

Question about the 2.5 CVT

cnaf

I'm looking to buy a Legacy, as much as I would love to get the 3.6, I can only afford the 2.5 (plus I need the extra mpg). I don't know much about the CVT, other than it wasn't very good in the nissan rental and the audi rental that i've used in the past. Is it worth the purchase, or should I really wait until I can afford a 3.6? Thanks...

I have the 2.5i w/ CVT and its been great so far. Logged 20k mi. Get up to 35 mpg on long highway driving and as little as 24 in the city. Wanted the manual but the extra mpg is worth it with all the driving. Takes a little getting used to with driving the CVT but its not terrible. I've heard the CVT in the subie's are the best on the market so far. The paddle shifters are fun in a pinch but they aren't really gears, just preset tranny ratios that you have to hit at about 500 rpm before you need to...so not really a true sports car but its great for what they made it to do. I've driven the 2.5i manual outback and the shifting is not a smooth and the throw is not as short as I would like (honda s2000 spoiled me). I have also driven the 3.6r in the outback and the power increase is definitely noticeable over the 2.5i and the 5 speed auto is solid. I'd stay away from the GT as it is more costly to maintain and takes premium gas. Hope this helps.

Archived