LegacyGT.com

Radio comes and goes?

IRMacGuyver

so confused. I can hear a crackle in the rear drivers side speaker often when it goes out or right before it comes back. It used to go out every time I made a hard turn to the right. Then it would only come on when I made a hard turn to the left. Now it seems to only spark to life when hitting a speed bump or pot hole. Is the problem more likely to be in the dash or the door panel.

How hard is it to get the door off and then back on? Is there a specialized tool I need? Having the faux wood wrap it seems like kind of a hassle to get on and off to check the radio.

Also the dash light that illuminates the gas dial is out. How hard is that to fix? Seems the entire dash would need to be removed but it's really getting to me that I can't see that at night.

I would check the connection at the back of the speaker. It sounds like a connection somewhere is loose, I would check your speakers first, then the amp, then the head unit. A google search should find a how-to to get the door card off. The tools you need to get the door card off are called "trim removal tools" they work better than a screw driver and won't scratch anything... a screw driver will scratch and/or dent the plastics. Getting the head unit out is a 10minute job, it is really quite simple. There is also a how-to on this topic around somewhere as well.

Not sure about getting to behind the instrument cluster sorry.

okay. I'll check that out. I'm just worried a little about taking the door off because when I first got my car the passenger door kept coming off. It took a while to get it back on correctly to the point where it wouldn't come off anymore. The door wouldn't close all the way while it wasn't seated properly and it was pretty annoying.

oh also is there a patch kit available that would match the vinyl trim? A couple of years ago the seat belt got stuck in the door frame when I was closing the door and punched a hole in part of arm rest.

They will need a bit of force before the clips engage properly. It is pretty normal. Just give the door trim a forceful (yet careful) whack with the palm of your hand in line with the clips and you won't have any dramas.

When you take the trims off, pull them as close as you can to the clips. This is to minimise the leverage and stress you put on the clips so they don't break. Even if they do, they aren't very expensive to replace (a few dollars will buy a packet of 10 or so).

Not sure about the problems your having with the trims.

Archived