LegacyGT.com

Brake line size (hard), and/or source

I hit the brake hard last week after changing the front driveshafts and it appears one of my brake lines has developed a leak. After checking the flexible lines I am pretty sure that the leak is in the rear brake from the passenger side hard line (I haven't taken the wheel off yet, have been busy with other things and I do have my other car to get to work and back). These lines were descibed as rusted and bulging slightly when the car was certified last year so no surprise that they have gone. We want to take the car on vacation next week so I need to replace them in the next day or so.

What I need to know is what size the brake lines are and the fitting types, or is there a (fast) source to get them from (in Canada if possible), from what I understand these lines run from the wheel well to a block under the rear seat so it should be possible to just replace the broken section. I do have a double flaring tool and have done this in the past on other cars, just want to make sure I buy the correct stuff before I start taking things apart.

Any help would be apreiciated.

Scott

I had the same problem in the last couple of months. I believe it is a design fault as you have to remove the fuel tank to replace the lines, 3-4 hours labour, at the same time the front lines were fine after 13 years. My impression is that the moisture hangs in above the tank and in our climate ultimately rots the lines. The Bill was horrendous, good luck! Peter S

wow wow dont just drop tanks and shit.. just run new lines. only one goes over the tank. just run a new line under the tank and zip tie it to the sub frame. or what ever. jeeze people. its just brake lines. you can run them any where.

okay this brings me to my original question what is the size of the brake line, it appears (after looking at the parts store display) that they are 3/16" diameter does that sound right? I wasn't planning on dropping the gas tank, if I was totally restoring the car yes, but the car is basically a (really good) winter beater, it is 16 years old and not worth paying someone big money to fix something that I can fix myself with a little creativity and time.

thanks

Scott

Archived