LegacyGT.com

could someone define "unstaking"?

bigfun

this will probably be considered a stupid question, but i've done my research and have found plenty uses of the term "unstake" with regard to large nuts (such as the 32 mm one that attaches a Legacy wheel to its axle), though nobody ever takes the time to define what they mean by "unstake." i just want a definition, with perhaps a few detailed procedural descriptions. from context, "unstake" seems to mean loosening a large nut from a very tight torquing. but occasionally it seems to also mean "fixing" some sort of damage deliberately inflicted on either the nut or the threads so as to keep it "stuck" (staked?). could someone who knows about unstaking please enlighten me? perhaps this page will show up in someone's google search when they are as confused as i am.

The stud/bolt/whatever that the nut goes one usually has a groove running along the length of the stud. To stake the nut, you use a screwdriver and create a small dent in the nut right above the groove, which prevents the nut from backing out. Unstaking means you 'remove' the dent so you can spin the nut off. Hope this helps.

Archived