LegacyGT.com

Legacy stereo any good?

The factory legacy stereo is poose...

The mcintosh unit is great but only does cd and md... You need an "anycar link" for usb mp3 bluetooth

If you want major volume and features.... Get the double din face and go aftermarket

Ok, heres a out there question.

How does it compare to the same year wrx stereo?

Ive got a 03 wrx, with the factory 6 disc stereo, 6 speakers. It sounds terrible. Its fine up to low levels of volume, but once you put it past medium, its done.

Is the legacy better, or same crap?

Having had both in stock and upgraded form (WRX and Legacy 05 years models) I can say the difference is significant. WRX like the Legacy does an okay job at low listening levels (Factory eq setting not too bad) . When you turn them up, the WRX stereo distorts quickly and easily rendering it useless. Legacy def is able to bring up the Db's but not by that much. Also of difference is the 1) path length differences in the speakers .Legacy has a much better ratio of distance between left and right speaker . The narrow WRX has the left front speaker way too close to the head vs the right side.Not to mention way off axis 2) Tweet placement on the WRX is ridiculous , literally next to your left elbow outstretched. Moved forward and upwards on the leggy. Nearly the same aftermarket system on the WRX did not sound nearly as good as on the Leggy.

OK, thanks for the great advise. I will take the lousy lgt stereo into the equation when i go for my next car, or i might hold out for a 09 with the HK unit.

The music in my car is very importent to me. Its the only place that i actually take the music up loud, and i follow alot of artists music since i was kid.

Now for the aftermarket, i dont mid spending the money on a great system, but i like to do it with the least amount of hacking and cutting, i like to keep it real clean. So when i found out the climate controls and headunit are one, i dont really want to mess around with seperating the two, i dont want a JL cleansweep, or jdm unit, and i def dont want to install a unit in the coin bin below. I will prob just live with it or buy a diff car.

Now for the aftermarket, i dont mid spending the money on a great system, but i like to do it with the least amount of hacking and cutting, i like to keep it real clean.

The JDM double DIN conversion is really clean. All you need to do is some minor wiring on the HVAC connectors, no "hacking". And you can use a Metra or other factory adapter harness for your new double DIN HU. It's the best option, just sucks that it's $330 or so without a HU.

Search for it in the Audio forum, and you'll find all you need. I think it's even a sticky at the top.

Archived