LegacyGT.com

Legacy 1995 starting problems

will74

Hey guys,

Have a bit of a problem that I hoped someone may be able to shed some light on. I live in Queenstown NZ which is cold (snowing). Here is overview of details.

-Other day someone backed into us, cracked bumper but no damage to radiator (no jolt, slow impact) and thus no apparent damage to car engine. (probably unrelated)

-A few hours later the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over at all, a few clicks then nothing.

-The same in the morning and jump starting didn't work.

-Had the starter motor replaced. Still wouldn't start but started to click when key was turned. Once jump started it turned over and the car started.

-That day we drove around for 45 mins and idled for 45 before going to petrol station to refuel. Stopped car, refuelled, and it started fine.

-Then 10 minutes later we were idling on a hill with handbrake on and it just cut out, dashboard lights went dim and car turned off. Wouldn't start again.

-Had battery tested. Test results were good (1 year old battery) but was completely flat. Had it charged by battery charger and it started the car. Tryed again 24 hours later and the car started again (so battery holding charge).

-Tested the alternator with a voltmeter (mechanic of 20 years did it) and it was working fine.

So i guess, I am just stumped at the fault. The car is working fine now but it seems like it could cut out in the future without figuring this out?

Is it possible that the starter was the problem and when we tried to turn it on (many times) we drained the battery that was already struggling in the cold weather?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this! Any ideas or explanations would be a great help!

Car specs are below:

1995 Subaru Legacy

180,000 k km on clock

Petrol

1.8 L Auto

Cheers, Will

Archived