LegacyGT.com

H&R Springs for 02 BE

stoggy

I bought H&R sport springs thinking that they would fit the vehicle without modifications. I was wrong. I called H&R and they said they have sold thousands of these kits and not one person has ever called to say that you need the 02-07 Impreza top hats.

Is there anyone out there that has NOT had to replace the top hats? Basically I was told that my car was not a true factory Legacy and that these springs will fit. Clearly they won't, they can't possibly seat correctly!

Is H&R the only brand of springs that require replacement top hats?

I just tried to do the same upgrade to mine and discovered the same thing, the tops of the springs are tapered. they do not fit into the tophats. I also got the wagon springs in the mail, which i am not sure if they are the same as the sedan springs. I have an 01 sedan, same gen as you. It would have been nice to know that they dont fit the tophats before I ripped my struts out....

I know it sucks hey! I think the springs in kit 29443 are designed for an Impreza. The guy at H&R told me that someone most likely changed out the suspension in my car before I bought it....I'm the only owner!! It's amazing how quick they were to dismiss the problem.

When I get the top hats they asked me to take pics of the stock springs/struts vs the H&R's. I'll most def do that. Maybe they will sort it out.

So by that part # it looks like you ordered the same ones as me, and it looks like the rears will only fit the wagon. Have you tried to install the rears yet? One of these mornings Ill get under there and measure the width of the springs. The height might be different too...... Ill need to get those impreza tophats if I plan on keeping these.

Yes I installed front and rear. The fronts work with those top hats. You need to trim the rubber spring seat to fit the new Impreza perch, however.

The rears fit--they aren't as low as the front so the car has a bit of a rake which doesn't look bad. H&R claims their springs will not settle or sag, I don't buy it though so when they settle it should lower the rear about another half inch.

The biggest problem is the rear lower shock bolt. Mine were so rusted I had to torch them off and buy new ones. It might be a good idea to buy the new bolts and nuts before you start just in case. I live in Canada though so rust is imminent.

I'll post pics as soon as I get home, can't upload from iPhone lol.

thanks for the part #.. I ordered them today so they should be here tomorrow, dont know when Ill get around to doing the front. I did the rears this past weekend and they fit in just fine. The ride height is exactly where I wanted it... so the wagon H&R springs do fit the sedan, they might not be the exact same part but I dont see a difference....

Update! Installed and aligned, handles great and looks even better. Sitting on 17x8 TSW Zolder 5 in gloss gold color.

Ride height is good, the springs are wagon springs obviously so the bit of rake is expected--I don't mind it--though it will settle out over time. Handling is night and day. I installed an ADDCO rear sway bar and Kartboy rear end links and its like it's riding on rails--honestly it is quite amazing.

Hope you like it. Cheers.

exterior_rims_lowered_1.thumb.jpg.76a01cae545afd3e9c03aaf89e152fa3.jpg

exterior_rims_lowered_2.thumb.jpg.d8360f22c594bf331961e852dc333e42.jpg

exterior_rims_lowered_3.thumb.jpg.1f2d3a84ca3dbe163be60abd5d804aa3.jpg

exterior_rims_lowered_4.thumb.jpg.528779652944f0c46a5158e49b2155d0.jpg

Trying to get some info here, so the part # htioki said is the front upper spring perch, is that all you need to make the springs work? It's an 02 lgt sedan. Also a few questions. How much approx will it drop my car? You on stock struts or aftermarket, how many miles, and how are they holding up?

yes that part # is for the tophat of the spring, that is all u need other than the obvious. its about an inch, maybe a little bit more.. just finished mine. Keep in mind my old shocks and springs had 200k + on them so they were sagging a little it in the before pic

Before:

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/subaglue/Marie/IMG_1567.jpg

After:

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/subaglue/Marie/IMG_1659.jpg

Car looks great bro! I have less than a one finger gap on the front, and about 1 1/2 finger gap on the rear. I'm sitting on brand new OEM struts, obviously not high mileage yet. So far clocked around 1500km and no issues. Handles really well. I did the Addco rear sway bar and Kartboy rear endlinks though so that def helps.

Keep in mind these springs are mOst likely designed with the wagon in mind which is why the rear will not drop as much.

Cheers.

The rebound is a little stiff, but that is obviously because its lower, but its hard to notice. I am very pleased with the way this rides. handles and rides so much better. I dont have the sway bar or new endlinks....

Archived