LegacyGT.com

How did I solved my Check Engine Light and Cruise Blinking . . .

So this is my contribution, hope helps to someone else ....

Somewhere at the start of this year (2011) the check engine light and the cuise started blinking in my 2005 H6 Legacy. The first thing I did was to take it to the dealer, I remember it was exactly at 50,000kms, they did some tests, reset the engine codes and two days after car was ready. They told be that was emission control related.

A week after, check engine and cruise control blinking were back again, took it to the Subaru dealer, again, some tests, two days after they called me, car was ready. That same day the check engine light was back on and cruise was again blinkling. It was time to take this problem more seriously.

Started searching online and saw lots of Subarus with this problem (like here, or there, just do a search) so I knew this was going to take more time than expected. Went to the dealer and asked to meet chief Subaru mechanic, after some introduction and some car talk, he ended telling me to change the right front O2 sensor, instead I replaced all just to be sure.

After changing all my JDM OEM O2 sensors with Denso US-Spec OEM O2, I noticed that the quality in my olds was far superior, anyways, did the change with the new ones and took it again to the dealer as you can see in this thread, they deleted again the codes. Two days after, check engine was back again with cruise blinking and went again to the dealer. After almost two weeks with the car and various tests including me driving, they rechecked eveything and told me the next part to change was the fuel pump.

Ordered a US Tribeca 2010 used fuel pump from e-bay and started pulling out my old one. To my susprise the plug was fried, so pulled out the pump and found that the six pin in the pump was the cause of it.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/qx3zva.jpg

After pulling it out, just found out again, that the USDM OEM fuel pump is cheaper quality than my JDM OEM fuel pump, and that my OEM had three nozzles instead of two that USDM have. I had to do some surgery, but got it working perfectly. See what I mean:

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2mfdf69.jpg

Ended up real late at night with the surgery, so I left the car without rear seats just to be sure it didn't pour gas or that I could smell gas leaks. Went to a gas station and filled it up, two days after check engine and the blinking cruise went out by themseft (ECU rechecks at 3/4 of tank). Still no problem after two months and 2,000kms later.

Everything was done by myself, ended up spending 1k in total.

If all was done thru the dealer would ended up spending 3-4k.

Cause: I don't know, what I do know is that low gas helped.

Just to add a few things, the upper tank seal from the Legacy is a PITA to install back, so I ended up using the Tribeca one, that has longer pins, this was part of me using strong lines inside the pump after the surgery.

And the day I put back my rear seats, I also changed the clock, the JDM OEM was a Denso Made in Japan product and the USDM was a no brand Made in China, just like the fuel pump.

Carlos.

This thread could actually be useful if we knew what the code was.

There are dozens of completely unrelated malfunctions that will trigger the CEL + flashing cruise. If someone gets a CEL due to a malfunctioning manifold pressure sensor (random example), they would would be wasting their time attempting to implement the fix described here.

When the CEL comes on, the cruise light starts flashing. That's just something else Subaru does to draw your attention to the fact that there's a problem.

did you determine what code was popping up? or was this a shot in the dark? I'm guessing the dealer knew.

This thread could actually be useful if we knew what the code was

They told be that was emission control related.

Emission control, like I stated. One of them being right bank rear (or front) O2. At the dealer they checked and recked MAF volt and IGN before they asked to buy the new O2 sensor.

Seems Subaru as opposed to others, has only one code for everything that's related to emission (MAF, O2, cats, FP, FPR, etc.).

Yes...but what code came up. There are various codes for maf, o2, cat efficiency, they are certainly not grouped into one. I can't imagine a foreign 05 H6 being any different than USDM ECU and CEL's.

Emission control, like I stated. One of them being right bank rear (or front) O2. At the dealer they checked and recked MAF volt and IGN before they asked to buy the new O2 sensor.

Seems Subaru as opposed to others, has only one code for everything that's related to emission (MAF, O2, cats, FP, FPR, etc.).

No, sorry... Your dealer just didn't give you as much information as they could have. There are four separate codes for the MAF sensor alone, twelve for the front O2, four for the rear, etc.

http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/CheckEngineLightCodes

Archived