LegacyGT.com

Debadge Cleanup...how to?

The "Subaru" badge on the trunk was loose, so I thought I'd join the ranks and pull it off completely. I have read through and seen a lot of posts telling how to get the badges off smoothly. I used flat floss on a hot day. It came off pretty easy. But now I'm left with a residue like when you take a sticker off. I tried goo gone, 3m sticker and adhesive remover, and a light wax and have had no luck.

I went back through the forum and searched for info on cleanup but didn't find anything.

What can I do? Please help. I have pics if at all necessary. If someone has a link to a post that gives the info then please pass it on.

I had the same problem. After the emblems were removed you could still see the outline of the letters from the glue residue.

Its been about 2 months since I did mine, and all I can say is that after time the outline will disappear. You may be able to try clay bar(ing) the car and see if that helps...

Is the residue still there or just a light outline of the letters?

I used goo gone and my fingernail to remove the residue. Took awhile, but with patience it was relatively easy to slowly scrape away.

If it's just the outline, I'd clay bar and get a good polish on it.

I wouldn't use wd40, but if that worked for km then...I dunno

I debadged mine too. And I got all the residue off. Make sure u let the goo gone sit on the residue a little to soak and break it down then wipe away. I think I used too much elbow grease though because I removed some of my clear coat and couldn't get rid of the outlines the letters left. So my trunk was slightly faded all around with the outline of the lettering still there. I just left it cause I was frustrated for about a month. Then I waxed it and now it looks better. I guess it helped restore some of the clear coat. But the outline is a little less noticeable too.

I would try claybar-ing but haven't had time but if waxing helped, I'm sure claybarring will help even more. But its gotten to a point where it doesn't bother me anymore and it is not that noticeable. But my car is black and everything shows up on it

• 1 month later...
Did mine tonight. Easy-peasy. Use a hair dryer to heat up the emblem and paint. Work some dental floss behind the emblems slicing / separating the emblem from the adhesive. Remove emblem. Heat the remaining residue with the hair dryer and then, once warm, scrub with a terry towel and Goo Gone. It takes a little elbow grease but the stuff came right off with no marks to the paint. I went over the area with a little Meguiars Scratch X just in case.

Clay. When I debadged, I just clayed and cleaned the whole car. Took almost a full day. I'll never clean a car exterior so thoroughly again.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

did anyone mention goo gone or wd40 yet?

No. You are the first.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

To remove the badges on my car i used a hairdryer and fishing line. After the badges were off I peeled the glue crap off with my fingers while the glue was soft.

I then took a very soft towel or rag and used rubbing alcohol to lightly take off the glue off the paint. The rubbing alcohol does take off the wax so after you are done you need to wax that section where the badge was. Do NOT rub the area hard with the rubbing alcohol or it will give you swirl marks in the clear coat. You can also use the hairdryer on low to soften the glue if its been sitting for a while.

I have done this on about 5-6 cars and it worked great everytime.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/Jay04WRX/IMG_0892.jpg

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Did mine tonight. Easy-peasy. Use a hair dryer to heat up the emblem and paint. Work some dental floss behind the emblems slicing / separating the emblem from the adhesive. Remove emblem. Heat the remaining residue with the hair dryer and then, once warm, scrub with a terry towel and Goo Gone. It takes a little elbow grease but the stuff came right off with no marks to the paint. I went over the area with a little Meguiars Scratch X just in case.

I think an '11 would be easier to debadge because the glue is still fairly new? But same method. Just letting people know. For older cars, itll take a little bit more work

To remove the badges on my car i used a hairdryer and fishing line. After the badges were off I peeled the glue crap off with my fingers while the glue was soft.

I then took a very soft towel or rag and used rubbing alcohol to lightly take off the glue off the paint. The rubbing alcohol does take off the wax so after you are done you need to wax that section where the badge was. Do NOT rub the area hard with the rubbing alcohol or it will give you swirl marks in the clear coat. You can also use the hairdryer on low to soften the glue if its been sitting for a while.

I have done this on about 5-6 cars and it worked great everytime.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/Jay04WRX/IMG_0892.jpg

I did this on my imprezas but just did it while i was bored waiting for my friend and it was hot outside so i didnt use a fishing line/floss. And i put a little too much elbow grease into it and created whirl marks and took off some clear coat = /

Yes, older adhesive can be a super bitch. I've used the same technique on 4 cars now of varying ages and all have come out looking good however. The trick seems to be the heat before the Goo Gone, then re-heating to keep the adhesive soft as you scrub at it with a cotton towel. However, never, ever use a heat gun! There's a big difference between a 1500 watt heat gun and your wife's blow dryer.

Archived