LegacyGT.com

Can I replace the radio (head unit) in my first gen wagon?

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here (post wise), but it looks like this would be the best place to ask.

What I'm pretty much wondering is if it's possible to buy a head unit to replace the stock one in a 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon? I don't know much about replacing them, but from the looks of it, you'd need a pretty big case/bracket/chassis to get the smaller head units of today to fit snugly in the area where the current unit is.

If I can replace it, am I limited to anything in particular? I mean, I'd like to at least have an aux in so I can plug in my iPod and play the music through there. Any suggestions on where to look? I've heard Alpine is pretty good.

naw that one is easy, the bracketry that is already there bolts right too most radios of today. its really convenient!

1. remove the cupholder and ash tray, there is a little push tab on the cupholder tray, and the ashtray comes out too.

2. remove the phillips screws behind where the cupholder was

3. use a stubby phillips, or a 1/4" ratchet with screw bit adapted to remove the two screws from where the ashtray was (going UP into the console.

4. pull the trim off at this point.

5. remove the 4 screws and the radio and pocket will come right out.

6. remove the factory radio from the pocket brackets

7. install your new radio on the brackets

8. put the assembly back in the dash and install the 4 screws

9. test fit the trim piece, if it doesn't fit, you may need to file it some on the inside. I did on mine but if your stereo has a removable face, its usually not needed to file it.

10. reinstall all screws into the trim (theft deterrant) and replace the ash tray and cupholder

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/classicmotorclub/IMG_20110522_165201.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the info. However, based on the picture you posted, you either had a smaller stock radio or found a custom flip up cover for the area below your head unit.

From the way my stock unit looks, there will be a good inch or so of open space if I get a new head unit. Is there any place to fine custom trim or would I just have to live with an open space?

ah, yeah grab the bracketry and flip cover/pocket from another lego at the junk yard. mine was regular radio maybe yours was premium? both my legacies have had that same pocket, so they are fairly common.

Watevaman: I replaced my stock head unit in my '93 with great success, but I do have the gap you are worried about between the unit and the cubby below. My stock unit was quite a bit taller than the standard-size replacement. The hole doesn't bother me and all is fully functional.

Archived