LegacyGT.com

Rear Diff ID Tag??

• 2 months later...

John, Thanks for sharing this information, it is very helpful.

I'm looking to replace the diff on our 1996 legacy L with a 4.111 gear ratio. Would you happen to know if the 03 Legacy L differential with a 4.111 gear ratio is compatible?

they haven't change the rear diffs since the early 90s.

if your 1996 Subaru Legacy BK Wagon has a 3.9 final drive ratio then it also has a 5 speed manual trans.

in the late 90s they only had 3 diffs available, all and the only differences between them was the final drive ratio, 3.9, 4.11, 4.44. and they are all ''open differentials, no limited slip, and they all take axles that insert into the diff.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/97reardiffratios.jpg

it is .

i have heard .....you may have to swap out the flange on the diff where the drive shaft bolts on but the diff will mount in the car and is the same ratio. and i have never compared the two so i'm not sure.

but since you are going to all the trouble to swap the diff, why not source one from a 5 speed outback, 01/2 - 04. they came with a locking VLSD limited slip and the 5 speed was 4.11 ratio like yours.

why do you need a new rear diff? they do not fail very often?

it is .

i have heard .....you may have to swap out the flange on the diff where the drive shaft bolts on but the diff will mount in the car and is the same ratio. and i have never compared the two so i'm not sure.

but since you are going to all the trouble to swap the diff, why not source one from a 5 speed outback, 01/2 - 04. they came with a locking VLSD limited slip and the 5 speed was 4.11 ratio like yours.

why do you need a new rear diff? they do not fail very often?

John, Thanks again for your help. The 5 speed outback diff sounds like a good option but we have immediate access to a inexpensive 03 legacy differential with relatively low (60,000) miles and probably don't want to wait any longer.

As for needing a new differential, we started getting a loud clang from the rear end a few weeks ago when making turns. Even very gentle turns. It acted like something is locking and then releasing. We've also noticed that one of the wheels will drag when the other is turning.

Thanks again for your help.

It acted like something is locking and then releasing. We've also noticed that one of the wheels will drag when the other is turning.
this sounds like torque bind which in auto trans cars is usually caused by the rear extension housing on the trans.

since you have an auto trans, try installing a fuse, ANY fuse, in the FWD fuse holder under the hood. it should be located in the corner of the fuse box on the driver side under the hood. this will force the car into FWD. insert the fuse and then drive in tight slow circles. if it is TBind, and you do not have a flashing AT Temp light, it should go away with the fuse in.

do you have a flashing AT Temp light on the dash at start up?

do all of your tires match? same size, brand, tread, air pressure, and wear??? this can cause binding.

Thanks for the suggestion on torque bind. We do have some torque bind in the automatic transmission/front differential and it has been shuddering while going around sharp turns for a couple of years. We've tried the fuse, tires, and the duty C solenoid without any improvement. But might try the fuse again tomorrow just for grins.

However the current problem is very different. In this case there is a very loud clang/bang coming from the rear end when going around any turn, even a very gentle one, the tires aren't rotating relative to each other and one will skid relative to the other. In fact, when we put the rear end up on jack stands and tried rotating each wheel the other wheel did not rotate and seemed to stick intermittently.

Hope you don't mind my asking if you know if an 04 impreza might be compatible and better than the 03 legacy option. I've included the listing title. Thanks again

REAR DIFFERENTIAL 04 SUBARU IMPREZA (2.5L w/o turbo AT, TS & Outback 4.11 Ratio)

there is no doubt in my mind that the extend TBind issue has worn out something in the rear drive line of your car. this is one of the reasons for repairing whatever is causing the Tbind. the leading causes of TB are, dirty trans fluid and fluid passages in the transfer clutch, mis-matched tires, bad duty c solenoid, and gummed up transfer clutch discs. it sounds like you have addressed at least a couple of these. clean new trans fluid may help and it certainly can't hurt.

since the issue occurs when turning it is probably in your rear diff. i would remove the rear section of the drive shaft, (rear half only, not the section next to the trans) and see what that does. this will eliminate power to the rear and eliminate any TB that is caused by the transfer clutch. see what happens.

is your rear diff greasy on the outside?

about the matching rear diff, the 04 impreza auto is going to be exactly like the 03 legacy auto; and very much like the 02 - 04 outback 5 speed, except not ''locking''. (the 4.11 diff was also used in the H6 cars 01 - 04 with the auto trans. they did not make any H6 cars with the 4.44 ratio or with the manual trans.)

i can not say ''rear diffs NEVER fail'' but i can say it is vary rare. and usually a failure is related to a ''no gear oil'' situation. i would have thought that the extra wear and tear caused by TB would have worn out the drive shaft before the rear diff. but who knows? but since they do not fail very often, they are readily available, pretty cheap and miles does not make much of a difference.

a good source for used parts: www.car-part.com put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close. but if you have to ship it in, sort by price to see what is cheap. (look for the page # that is shaded gray.)

John, Thanks for the detailed responses. I'm sure you are right about the TB wearing on the differential. The exterior of the differential is a little greasy. We'd like to address the TB and have tried different tires, fluid changes, duty C solenoid, most of what you have suggested without any luck and will probably take another look at this once the differential is fixed. Finite funds and repair skills limit what we can do. Thanks again for your help.

by the way, i have a 4.11 rear diff out of a 96 lego L auto trans w/ 125k miles. i used the engine in my 97 GT wagon and the trans in my 95 lego sedan. both run great 45k miles later.

let me know if interested. shipping might be expensive.

where are you located??

by the way, i have a 4.11 rear diff out of a 96 lego L auto trans w/ 125k miles. i used the engine in my 97 GT wagon and the trans in my 95 lego sedan. both run great 45k miles later.

let me know if interested. shipping might be expensive.

where are you located??

John, I sent you a private Message regarding your differential. Hopefully that is the correct way to contact you? Peter

@johnegg - Have always believed (through traction evidence) that the rear diff on my 98 LGTs is VLSD. From the above model graph it appears that this is not the case. 4.111 on the 5MT, 4.444 on the 4EAT but not VLSD?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

4.111 on the 5MT, 4.444 on the 4EAT but not VLSD?

correct, no VLSD in the late 90s. they did have a LSD in the early 90s. on the turbos i think, but not sure. it may have been a mechanical locking diff instead of viscous, but again, i'm not sure.

Archived