LegacyGT.com

Wagy on the Track II

triple_B

Spent the evening lapping at our local big track, Pacific Raceways in Washington. here are two vids from my 4th session at 9:30pm. one camera is uptop and one inside. if you start the uptop one at 1:10 with the inside one at the begining its a cool side by side view.

enjoy Triple

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A016AEZaF2U]YouTube - ‪Pacific Raceway Alfa Track Day with Triple_b Subaru Wagon GT NIGHT - IN CAR‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRyPzq86TFw]YouTube - ‪Pacific Raceway Alfa Track Day with Triple_b Subaru Wagon GT NIGHT - UP TOP‬‏[/ame]

looks good man...

on several of the laps it looks like you're not really using all of the track.. like you're coming out of corners too slowly and just using the straights to keep your overall speed up. You're hitting apexes nicely though.. better than most of the cars in front of you in the video. It's tough to tell speed and car location sometimes in the video, so take my comments however you like :D

going back to PR next month? I'll do what I can to be there..

So, you made it out...looked good. Luv'ed the comment about "I'd be dead..if I didnt have all wheel drive" :-)

As rootrider said, you could stay further out on the entry to corners and brake later/harder to pick up more speed. Especially coming into turn 2...I come into the braking zone @125 and come @60...if you wait to roll-on throttle until you're past the apex, you can track out ("drift" to edge of track) and have good speed going down the hill into 3a. For turn 3a/b, you might go faster in 3rd gear (it sounded like you were shifting up before you were out of 3b). For the entry into 5a, if you stay far to the left (not the school line) and finish your braking early, you'll have higher speed thru 5a,5b, and into 6. Coming past the apex on turn 8, you can mash the throttle and let the car track way out, which will put you a little wide coming out of 9, but you'll pick 10-15 mph over what you have at the end of the passing zone. Comments from the local Porsche Chief Driving Instructor, who tracks a 2010 STi.

So, you made it out...looked good. Luv'ed the comment about "I'd be dead..if I didnt have all wheel drive" :-) Ya, PR is a blast. cant wait to go back. the AWD comment is a popular one to us Subies ive been discovering. Hey, its what i got so ill drive it like it is ( i mumble under my breath.)

As rootrider said, you could stay further out on the entry to corners and brake later/harder to pick up more speed. Especially coming into turn 2...I come into the braking zone (im a huge late braker!!! ive got that down. with the HPS and lines its insane. the instructor was an older guy and asked me to lay off a bit cause his head was snapping around. the guy in the video is a different instructor cause my orig had to sit out. plus in this vid the WRX was on the brakes so thats why i was on his A$$ all the time in the corners. his power and manual pulled away in the straights...for the most part) @125 and come @60...if you wait to roll-on throttle until you're past the apex, you can track out ("drift" to edge of track) and have good speed going down the hill into 3a. Ya i should cary more speed, i know the car can handle it but im such a puss to wear the shoulders of my tires. lol when ever i hear the tire begin to screech i back off, just a reflex. or turn 3a/b, you might go faster in 3rd gear (it sounded like you were shifting up before you were out of 3b). Im an auto 5EAT so im 6700rpm in 2nd coming out of that thing. For the entry into 5a, if you stay far to the left (not the school line) and finish your braking early, you'll have higher speed thru 5a,5b, and into 6. i was discovering this at the end of the day. i was carring so much more speed through there at the end. IT WAS AWESEOME. just need more time. Coming past the apex on turn 8, you can mash the throttle and let the car track way out, which will put you a little wide coming out of 9, but you'll pick 10-15 mph over what you have at the end of the passing zone. Comments from the local Porsche Chief Driving Instructor, who tracks a 2010 STi.

ill post up my begining and ending speed graphs from the day. its funny.

Peace

I run with the Porsche club most of the time, and with an occasional Audi/BMW day. Getting passed by a dirty daily driver with roof racks is a tuff nut for some of them to swallow. I get ragged about it...my standard response is along the lines of "mmm, Porsche...tastes like chicken" :-)

Wearing the shoulders off? Adjusting your tires pressures will help a bit with this. I was running 37 all round with my all-season pole positions. Running 51/42 on gforce KDW which is way too high. The tire pressure will make a big difference in the tire grip. The "real racers" will have alot of comments on this, tho.

When you're tailgating someone alot and cant pass them, back off on the straights to build some buffer or take a detour thru the pits to get some gap. I usually do the main straight slower and give them time to get thru turn 2, at which point I have room to run.

You were doing good for your second day.

Coming past the apex on turn 8, you can mash the throttle and let the car track way out, which will put you a little wide coming out of 9, but you'll pick 10-15 mph over what you have at the end of the passing zone. Comments from the local Porsche Chief Driving Instructor, who tracks a 2010 STi.

in my slower car I prefer to turn-in at turn 8 later than taught so I can get full throttle earlier on through turn 9. I lost very little time doing this through turn 8, and usually ended up right on the tail of most cars through turn 9. This is where I usually passed most of the cars.

Wearing the shoulders off? Adjusting your tires pressures will help a bit with this. I was running 37 all round with my all-season pole positions. Running 51/42 on gforce KDW which is way too high. The tire pressure will make a big difference in the tire grip. The "real racers" will have alot of comments on this, tho.

yeah.... run with better tires! :D

in my slower car I prefer to turn-in at turn 8 later than taught so I can get full throttle earlier on through turn 9. I lost very little time doing this through turn 8, and usually ended up right on the tail of most cars through turn 9. This is where I usually passed most of the cars.

I'll have to try that this coming Friday with the Audi club at PR. Getting thru 8 without being slow coming out of 9 has been a real challenge for me. Mostly due to lack of patience when accelerating after the apex...I always goto fast and have to take 9 flatter so I dont get setup right (tracking out near the grass of dragstrip) Do you hit the apex of 8?

yeah... let me grab an image of that part of the track and try to try the line I was using. I rode around PR a few times yesterday at the historic races, so things are fresh in my mind

ok.. ignore the waviness of the line since I'm just drawing it by hand. The traditional turn-in's are where I remember them to be without being able to see all of the marks on the pavement from within Google. The yellow dot I drew at turn 9 is about where the normal turn-in is, and the dot at turn 10 is where the mark is on the pavement for where I start my turn there.

http://www.fakelag.net/users/d/32805-1/pacificraceways.png

To answer your question.. I hit the apex, or I at least apex just a little later than normal, on Turn 9. I also just realized that the yellow line coming into Turn 9 follows the right edge of the pavement the whole way, while in reality I try to cut the corner a bit from the end of the staging lane markings coming into the turn, to just before the traditional turn-in (since I'm done exiting Turn 8 and am able to work on 'shortening the track' again).

Keep in mind I drive a heavy FWD car, so I'm guessing this line might help me more, partially because it helps limit some of the understeer normally seen when using throttle through a turn. I started using this line after talking to a long-time racer who tracks his old Alfa and has to do whatever he can to get on the throttle as soon as possible.

So, I found that with this later turn-in at Turn 9 I was able to get on full throttle almost immediately and could get to the left more in order to prep for Turn 10.. making it faster (more straight) as well. I figure that the straight is important enough in overall lap time that (possibly) losing a small amount of time or speed through Turn 9 is worth it to gain speed when entering the straight.

ok.. ignore the waviness of the line since I'm just drawing it by hand. The traditional turn-in's are where I remember them to be without being able to see all of the marks on the pavement from within Google. The yellow dot I drew at turn 9 is about where the normal turn-in is, and the dot at turn 10 is where the mark is on the pavement for where I start my turn there.

To answer your question.. I hit the apex, or I at least apex just a little later than normal, on Turn 9. I also just realized that the yellow line coming into Turn 9 follows the right edge of the pavement the whole way, while in reality I try to cut the corner a bit from the end of the staging lane markings coming into the turn, to just before the traditional turn-in (since I'm done exiting Turn 8 and am able to work on 'shortening the track' again).

My instructors have been big on treating turn 8 as a big sweeper, like 2, which throws me so wide post apex I cant hit the pavement marker for 9. I like your line... focus more on getting around 8 and lined up for 9, rather than powering on and tracking way too wide for the start of 9.

I'll post the video with the results next weekend and see how it worked out.

yah.. I view Turn 9 as being a little closer to just being a throw-away corner, focusing more on setup for the next corner.

I'm planning on being at the Alfa Club evening session on the 27th... can't wait to get back on the track.

http://www.fakelag.net/users/d/32805-1/pacificraceways.png

For someone not familiar with the track - is it clockwise or counter-clockwise? :confused:

453747.png

counter-clockwise..

this map is upside-down:

http://nwalfaclub.com/track/images/pr_map2.gif

my image shows turns 7, 8, and 9. The course has over 200' (60 meters) of elevation change.. and meanders through the woods on the back half. It's a great and very technical course.

so I just watched my video from the last time I drove PR. It looks like I was turning in on Turn 8 a little sooner than I thought I was... about a car length after where the turn-in cone was placed. On some of the laps I still ran too wide before coming into Turn 9, but most of the time it looks like it worked quite well for me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaj7DWYJ__g]YouTube - ‪Pacific Raceways - NW Alfa Club - April 14th, 2011‬‏[/ame]

Had to replay it a bunch of times to see/hear it, but it looks like you start rolling on the throttle a bit past the apex of turn 8.

I use the apex cone as the marker to mash the throttle to the floor :-) Probably explains why I go so wide in that corner. Going out tomorrow with the Audi club...should be about the same weather, too.

Yes, turn 8 is where Subarus get some 4-wheel drift action if you get on the throttle sooner. Miatas and Lotus' in the hands of inexperienced drivers spun out in that turn. Our instructors didn't care for any shenanigans so we were held back. :(

I have enough drama for now.....

Had to replay it a bunch of times to see/hear it, but it looks like you start rolling on the throttle a bit past the apex of turn 8.

I use the apex cone as the marker to mash the throttle to the floor :-) Probably explains why I go so wide in that corner. Going out tomorrow with the Audi club...should be about the same weather, too.

that rain was pretty bad... doubt you'll see anything like that.

Going back on the 27th Ryan?

Yes, turn 8 is where Subarus get some 4-wheel drift action if you get on the throttle sooner. Miatas and Lotus' in the hands of inexperienced drivers spun out in that turn. Our instructors didn't care for any shenanigans so we were held back. :(

4 wheel drift tells you about how good the balance is, just fine tune with the throttle and fly away! :D And get stickier tires.

I suspect that that corner is also a Porsche-killer even more than for Miatas and Lotuses.

453747.png

Archived