LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec.B Bilstein vs. Bilstein HD - damping data from Bilstein

T-Rexky

Well i supposed to give some review but unfortunate thing do happen. My workshop happen to damaged one of my HD strut

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/317521_10150314997303089_693408088_8020200_1937250405_n.jpg

so now i'm on front stock damper with H&R spring and rear with B6 (HD) on H&R spring. So following review might not be accurate.

Stance,

Well it does drop it alright. I measure from front fender till center wheel nut. I figure this will be the most accurate way to measure as everyone finger was different size and some could be using different height tyre. Front from fender till center nut was 350mm and rear was 365mm. If to go buy finger tight, front 2 rear 2 finger with some gap

stiffness, as i mentioned, im using stock shock on front now. hence it is smooth silk. I deliberately go over some speed hump, It is obvious front shock was soft but on rear, i do notice it is slightly better (softer) then STI with B6 (HD).

So not until i get my front fitted with B6 again, else this review won't be complete. I may not even get B6 anymore as i feel good on current now. Just that stock kyb tad too soft so either go for Spec.B bilstein or B4

This is great info. Really wish we could see the collapsed/extended lengths on the factory Spec B (Rev C) Bilsteins. It's been mentioned before, that the HDs have a shorter rod length so that information would be helpful to confirm.

I have Spec B (Rev C) Bilstein struts with Swift wagon springs. Like this combination, but for reasons mentioned above, mostly under-dampening (not nearly as under-dampened as the stock KYB/Spring combo) but, over time, have come to realize that the Rev Cs are just a bit too soft in that area.

One thing I noticed right away with the Rev Cs is that the car would hobby-horse (rock back and forth) horribly. To fix this, I did the Bilstein bump-stop mod which helped considerably. I also did the LCA bushings and the Roll Center Bump Steer kit as well because of the huge gain in static camber from the Swift drop. If you are on lowering springs, that drop you more than 3/4", I'd recommend doing the bump-stop mod to regain additional suspension travel without the incidental loading/unloading from the bump-stops. If you're dropped more than an inch, I'd recommend the RCBS Kit.

So, I've bought a set of HDs which I'm getting ready to install with the Swifts and a set of 3/8" butt spacers at the rear. Will be using the RCE bump stops in place of the cut-down Bilstein stoppers. Will post up my results once I get them installed.

Do plan to send the Rev Cs to Bilstein in Poway, CA and have them re-valved to Sport settings for another application, so will also post up how that goes.

I thought it was debunked that the HD's had shorter stroke than the other struts.

They have the same stroke as the stock Spec-B Bilsteins.

After switching to Pinks on my HD's, I've noticed the ride is a little more firm, but somewhat better damped than before. I definitely like it, so I'm happy I did the swap.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I thought it was debunked that the HD's had shorter stroke than the other struts.

They have the same stroke as the stock Spec-B Bilsteins.

After switching to Pinks on my HD's, I've noticed the ride is a little more firm, but somewhat better damped than before. I definitely like it, so I'm happy I did the swap.

I asked Bilstein this very question but curiously never received an answer. I asked the same person that supplied all the data that I attached in the first post.

Regarding the bump stop mod I can add that with the pinks and the stock Spec.B Bilsteins I was frequently hitting the bump stops with high speed compression (we seem to have lots of 'speed bumps' on the highways here). This completely disappeared with the HDs.

To my liking this suspension setup is nearly perfect, but unfortunately it highlights how pitifully inadequate the tires are under the extremes. I am planning to go to new wheels and 235mm tires next spring to fix that.

The harshness is the struts, not the springs. I had coilovers with springs that are more than twice as stiff than Pink springs, but were as comfortable as stock.

That's precisely why I'd like to see some damping numbers down in the body inertia motion range. At 0.52 m/s you're well above the range of interest for handling and spring control, and how it gets from 0.0 m/s to there matters a great deal.

Norm

• 6 months later...

sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but have any of you used stock spec-b springs with the hd's?

I got a set of stock spec-b springs for my hd's, but after doing some more reading, I may want to do firmer springs....

Well anyway, I will be a gunnea-pig for us Outback owners...

Wes.

Hm... this is quite contradict with my experience on HD pair with Pinks which im currently having it.

I felt it is hard and bouncy. The only thing i'm not sure is which "type" of sti spring that i have and i don't even know there are different version of it. But i do have B6 for sure. So im not sure if it is the spring too hard or the HD. Also i don't think my sti spring is progressive type

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/218150_10150172983633089_693408088_6783744_1004769_n.jpg

I had the same setup and hated it. finally upgraded to konis and it's a lot better provided that you cut the bump stops

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

My struts are dead and I'm looking to get new Bilstein's

On tire-rack they have 2 options Bilstein HD B6 & Bilstein B8

Under the B6 it's showing that Spec.B top hats are needed but under the B8 it doesn't show that SpecB top hats are needed.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Wagon+2.5+GT&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Base+Model

I called them to see if maybe this was just overlooked but they told me that no the B8 would just used the stock top hat

I'm having a hard time trusting them on this..

Also does anyone run the B8? Would you recommend them over the B6?

Im on H&R springs

Thanks!

-Erik

From what I have read the B6 and B8 are similar but the B6 was designed for use with stock height springs and the B8 for use with lowering springs.

Yes from what I can find that is true.

But I'm trying to figure out why the B6 needs spec.B top hats and the B8 is said to use stock top hats

I would also like to know if the B8's are worth the extra $240 over the B6's

Yes from what I can find that is true.

But I'm trying to figure out why the B6 needs spec.B top hats and the B8 is said to use stock top hats

I would also like to know if the B8's are worth the extra $240 over the B6's

Ajusa.com had the B8s for less ($185 each shipped) than the B6s. They seem to have the least expensive Bilsteins. Ajusa says both B6 and B8 need spec B front tophats.

I'm not aware of anybody that has bought the B8s yet, but I'd bet money they also require spec B hats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Just got an email back...

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I checked with my hardware support team, and they said that all non-Spec B must convert to the Spec B upper mounts. We will be updating our website to reflect that information.

Best regards,

Skip

Archived