LegacyGT.com

O hai, Dealers suck at working on cars

SO, when i bought my car (less then a month ago) i was told it had the clutch replaced by a dealership in Texas, last december with 64000 on the clock. I've got it up to 84k now and my clutch went out.http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx187/Nexmoco/2011-06-22_13-40-17_567.jpg

Nice eh? So in the process of pulling the old one out I noticed a few things. I prematurely convinced myself that the rear diff was going bad and had issues, all the external signs pointed to it. so when i removed the exhaust and all the heatshields my jaw dropped to find that the carrier bearing bracket in the middle of the driveshaft was missing one of its bolts and the other was only in 2-3 threads, the shaft would get sucked back up where its supposed to be under acceleration and would drop down and rub on the heatshields under decel. http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx187/Nexmoco/2011-06-22_09-39-19_108.jpg

after this i was extreemly happy to find out that I(most likely) dont HAVE to replace my rear diff! so fast forward 40 min and i pull tranny apart and pull the old clutch out, go grab my t50 torx and its all loose in the flywheel bolts... they're almost all close to stripped... and here i got mad and left the car in my garage and went to work on my truck.:spin:

The reality is, many mechanics are not good mechanics. I have a very short list of mechanics that I let work on my stuff. I do a lot of my own work, but sometimes you have to trust someone. I change my own oil, just so I can check out the rest of the underside of my vehicles. (I have a lift) I know the oil change experts (lol) like to find all kinds of fluids and filters to change, but unless you're watching, they just say they change stuff. I check out every wheel and suspension links, exhaust, etc. while I'm under there. Nobody cares about my cars like I do.

I dont even trust mechanics that i know are good with my car, but I'd recommend a friend to them, If I dont know how or dont have to tool to fix whats wrong I learn and get it. I need to invest in a lift, i have a rolling engine hoist on my ceiling of my garage, that seems to make everything smoother but a lift would be amazing.

The clutch was definitely replaced at 60k (or sometime). Only noob's leave the carrier bearings loose.

You are VERY lucky that it didn't come all the way out. That is the kind of thing that'll break shit.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There are a LOT of bad mechanics out there.

Nobody knows that better than a mechanic :)

gotta quote you for truth.

Even an awesome mechanic has bad days.

Good mechanic's inform the customer and do things right and put the safety/well-being of the customer above making $ which will make you $ in the end.

Archived