LegacyGT.com

Parted Back To Stock, Have Idle Issues (W/Video)

Ok 2005 LGT Ltd

Was stage 2-3 (ish) went back to stock

Catless UP/DP 40BB Turbo, Greddy Evo2, Injectors, FMIC, Intake

Had UTEC installed and pulled and reset the ECU before startup

Placed all stock components back in except used a catless 06 STi UP0

For the first week it drove fine, no issues at all, then the day I was leaving for Ocean City I started to have idle issues. See Below:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/madcatz1417/th_2011-06-24_19-50-28_706.jpg

I am not touching the throttle at all. This is how it idles. If I remain on the throttle it will stay constant and I have no hesitation.

If I am driving I do have massive hesitation and sometimes it just seems like it will not make boost at all and I bog out.

Any thoughts? I have already cleaned the MAF, checked the vac lines and the Intake side of the turbo. And NO CEL comes on after she dies out

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

Sounds (and acts) like a vacuum leak. Check the T under the intercooler first, then check all of your other locations.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

+1 on the vac leak. Disconnecting the MAF and having it run better almost narrows it down to either vac leak or MAF problem. The idle is surging like that because it keeps almost stalling out, so it pops the throttle back open to keep it from stalling out.

ok.....Ill double check when I get home from work today. I know some of the hoses look dry rotted, but it doesnt look any worse than when I got the car 2 years ago....Ill go pick up 1/8" line and replace small dry rotted hoses

-Travis

Think I found my issue.

TMIC to Throttle body hose was off on the throttle body. I looked it over and the silicone ends were torn and cut up from the clamps.

Ordering a AVO TB hose tonight and should *crosses fingers* have an update to if that was the culprit

-Travis

Got the AVO unit installed.

Cleared the secondary codes from when I removed the MAF Sensor., double checked all connections and and rechecked vacuum lines since I removed the TMIC once again.

Started up and is idling normal now.

Problem......vacuum

Issue.....throttle body hose.

Hope this helps some people in the future

and freebie rep for Fredbeansparts.com on getting the AVO Throttle Body Hose to me Tuesday when I ordered on Sunday night!

-Travis

Glad to hear this is resolved. How was the fit-up between the TMIC and the TB? Have heard some anecdotal comments about length (too long), but am looking to go this route myself so any feedback is appreciated.

The fitment is spot on with NO TMIC Brackets

It was very snug, but I took a blow dryer and some oil and lubed the inside as well as making the silicone warm to expand to fit.

I removed the TMIC, fitted the AVO piece to the Throttle Body, put the clamp on, but not tight as I knew it would still require movement to find the appropriate fit.

slid the TIMC on then rolled the coupler till the flange on the TIMC/Turbo matched up.

Double checked the throttle body and tightened down the clamp, tightened down the clamp on the TMIC and then reattached the BPV Recirc Tube, vacuum line and then looked over the Blue T fitting between the TMIC and the Intake Manifold. All Looked good, and fired it up.

I drove it this morning and she made boost, but the Boost gauge only had me at like 5-7 PSI. I dont remember if I have my restrictor pill or not since this has been a on going process of getting back to stock.

which in all honesty is fine for me as I wont be burning through gas, and I can drive it as a commuter car again. (ill be doing about 45 miles one way for work starting next month.) I was getting >200 miles to a tank, so I would fill up every 2 days if I kept her modified.

-Travis

I got the black to look super stealth.

Honestly, unless you know what that monstrosity of a Coupler is with the stock piece, if you got the black, you wouldnt even notice at a glance that you had an after market piece.

This is my second time with a blown out coupler....different symptoms both times, so it was a little harder to diag this issue this time with no codes...so this couple IMHO is a must have after installing it

-Travis

I loathe the stock TB hose with those stupid silicone connectors. Lame (Read: Cheap). And I think I've got problems there now too since I'm getting some stuttering and that's typically where it originates on mine.

I, without a doubt, will never go back to the OE Piece.

Its short, its piss poor, it has no flex, it MUST be installed one way and one way ONLY.

AVO 5 ply silicone.......longer, flixible and its all the same piece unlike the OE 3 piece design......silicone end caps with a rigid wrap type tube.

-Travis

Archived