LegacyGT.com

05 Base model wagon Burning oil

Oh, and BTW, Porsche's guidelines for oil consumption is 1 qt max per 600 miles before they will address excessive oil consumption. Be glad Subaru isn't that lenient!

Having said all this, there is nothing inherently wrong with oil consumption, IF (and a big if here) everything else with the engine is fine (power, smoothness, wear, etc.).

And most Porsche shops won't warantythe valve covers won't leak. I know the shop my buddy worked at only waranty them against drips.

I know this was true for all the air cooled cars. Not sure whether this applies to the water cooled ones. Course the valve covers on his parents' subaru have always leaked.

While it's a shot in the dark, when did you switch over to synthetic. While many will argue that you can run syn from the get go, I personally have always broken in thoroughly on dino oil.

Although I realize you're not asking me, I switched to syththetic early (1800 miles/3 months of ownership).

Still running with that same oil at 5200 miles now, 6-months later. Oil level is the same. I'm probably going to change it again this week.

Personally, I think the delivery driver drove that car 300 miles on the highway in 3rd gear and jacked the motor.

I still would like to know what the current mileage is on the Legacy. It is the first time I've really heard of a major internal problem with an '05.

Although I realize you're not asking me, I switched to syththetic early (1800 miles/3 months of ownership).

Still running with that same oil at 5200 miles now, 6-months later. Oil level is the same. I'm probably going to change it again this week.

Personally, I think the delivery driver drove that car 300 miles on the highway in 3rd gear and jacked the motor.

I still would like to know what the current mileage is on the Legacy. It is the first time I've really heard of a major internal problem with an '05.

What type of synthetic, brand, grade and weight?

How do you measure your oil level, in the morning before driving or after a warm-up ?

What were your driving habits for those 6 months, highway/city/aggresive percentage ?

Thanks.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

How do you measure your oil level, in the morning before driving or after a warm-up ?

Mojo

This is a good point. This is my first Subaru as well and the oil level is a bitch to read correctly. I've found that I can only get an accurate reading after the car has been sitting overnight. IE; After an oil change dipstick reads low when I've just put in the exact amount of oil called for so I know it's in there. If anything I'd figure it would read high since you can never get all the old oil out. However, if I check it the next morning it's right to the full mark.

I've asked fellow Subi owners about this and this is apparently pretty common characteristic of this engine. I guess it just takes a while for the block to drain.

Good luck getting your problems fixed,

Brian

This is a good point. This is my first Subaru as well and the oil level is a bitch to read correctly. I've found that I can only get an accurate reading after the car has been sitting overnight. IE; After an oil change dipstick reads low when I've just put in the exact amount of oil called for so I know it's in there. If anything I'd figure it would read high since you can never get all the old oil out. However, if I check it the next morning it's right to the full mark.

I've asked fellow Subi owners about this and this is apparently pretty common characteristic of this engine. I guess it just takes a while for the block to drain.

Good luck getting your problems fixed,

Brian

I don't really have a problem, just trying to gauge my oil consumption, which depends on how you read the dipstick.

Check out the recent Oil Analysis I did http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12734

Mojo

I keed I keeed

I too have difficulties reading the dipstick. Sometimes one side will be somewhat easy to read, while the other will have oil way way beyond the expansion notch in the side of the dipstick. Other times the entire dipstick will be smeared enough that it's impossible to get an accurate reading. Personally, I've had the best luck getting a reading on the dipstick if I wait 2 - 3 hours after shutting off the engine. I wonder if oil works it's way up the dipstick somehow? That's kind of a shot in the dark, but I dunno why getting a reading is so difficult with this car/engine. Is it a design flaw, or just the nature of this flat 4 engine block?

What type of synthetic, brand, grade and weight?

What were your driving habits for those 6 months, highway/city/aggresive percentage ?

Thanks.

Mojo

I don't measure that often. So I just went out in the garage and looked at it again, just for you. Car has been sitting for 4 hours in the garage. Oil level was 3/4 of the way up toward the 'F' from the 'L.'

Mostly city driving, aggresive acceleration 0-60 type runs maybe 3-4 times a week.

Looks like in 6 months and 3500 miles, the car may have burned a little less than 1/4 of a quart.

If it suddenly went as bad as 1 quart for every 1,000 miles, I'd take the car in to the Subaru dealer and expect some type of warranty covered valve job. If they refused, I would just tell them to make me a buy-back offer, because I would consider the purchase to have been a mistake.

That is exactly what I would suggest NonovUrbizniz should do.

I don't really have a problem, just trying to gauge my oil consumption, which depends on how you read the dipstick.

Check out the recent Oil Analysis I did http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12734

Mojo

Melayout,

Yeah, that comment wasn't directed at you. I was just trying to emphasize a point I thought you were trying to point out to the originginal poster. Specifically, the oil level in this car can be hard to read.

Brian

Melayout,

Yeah, that comment wasn't directed at you. I was just trying to emphasize a point I thought you were trying to point out to the originginal poster. Specifically, the oil level in this car can be hard to read.

Brian

+1, Ditto, MOD PARENT UP.:lol:

I keed I keeed

Both of our GT's use no oil at all. I can't say the same for my old RX-8 however.

What are your driving habits? What are the ambient temperatures your cars see ? How do you check your oil, overnight/morning or after warmup ?

I keed I keeed

• 2 weeks later...

Alright thanks for all the imput guys...

I mix between hard and soft on the car... however my "hard" is only hard where it should be and not where it shouldn't if that makes sense...

IE I don't shock the engine or drivetrain ever but I push it a decent amount.

I check the oil when I fill it up and I wait till after I'm done pumping the gas... So it should have had ample time to go down... and also this is the ONLY way I check the oil... so even if the method is incorrect it's constant so it shouldn't be reading lower under the same circumstances unless it's actually lower....

Also I spent about 6 years of my life pumping gas at various full service gas stations so I'm pretty confident in my ability to check oil...

I am planning on taking it back to the dealer with the list of issues and will be contacting SOA shortly there after... the general manager of the dealership was basically the only one who was understanding or concerned with making me happy so I think I'll be talking to him from now on...

Just gotta get my other car perminently registered then I'll drop this one off.

thanks again guys.

Archived