LegacyGT.com

car is done radio stations don't come in lol

bill harvey

iirc the "antenna" is placed in the rear glass on these cars. So I'd check connections back there and behind the radio. I've heard of certain kinds of tint messing up the radio signal.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, so I bought the car with a toasted motor just got it back with a new motor and turbo and my radio reception is terrible. I have an '05 Legacy GT. Do any of you have ideas of things to check ?

Bill -

I would just spring for an aftermarket antenna and not even bother with the OEM set up. Years ago I used to grab a Radio Shack antenna jack and just solder in a length of insulated copper wire (although I kept mine far away from the blower motor and other sources of interference).

For those that don't know Bill: He used to work part time as a counter man at (Exiter ?) Subaru and managed to acquire one of the last factory closed-deck EJ22T short blocks and build it with a JC Sports aftermarket turbo kit to upgrade his N/A '98 Impreza RS back around ~ 2000-2001. Given how few customers who bought and paid for these turbo kits actually received them, I think we can describe Bill as an extremely tenacious man.

• 3 months later...

I hope not to long winded...

Bought a 2006 Legacy 2.5i wagon about a year ago, and neve had any AM reception and poor FM reception.

So followed the T/S in the ET-2 of the manual which lists 5 items to check.

1. Check antenna

2. Check antenna amplifier

3. Check noise suppressor

4. Check audio ground

5. Remove audio and repair it.

Well I followed all that no luck, after checking antenna in the glass, replacing the Antenna Amplifier (AA), and trying another radio from the wreckers. Further T/S found that the AA was not getting power to it.

So step 6. or if you do it first would be to check that that the power is at the AA connector when the radio is on.

The wiring diagram says pin 5 on connector i102, wire YB (Yellow -Black stripe) is the only connection from the radio to the AA.

So I check for power at i102 -(Drivers LH Foot well) - good 12v.

Well there is another one on LHS rear just above the rear brake lights, and here is where the wire changes from YB to Black -brown dashes.

Check there. 12 V. Ok ?

So find out from this connector to AA, it is open circuit. Such a short run of wire, where the crap is it open.

Last place I looked on the run, as the rubber conduit boot between the roof and rear hatch.

Ended up splicing in a piece of wire.

Now I can't believe how good the AM/FM reception is compared to what I had before.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0351.thumb.jpg.fbc86c0f0ce6f120c17ac533e89f6b32.jpg

IMG_0352.thumb.jpg.9a57b69a8394c97324c34846743fdcba.jpg

YB_BBr.thumb.jpg.8e1f59a9ebdb33263acc06abc8707cbe.jpg

photo.thumb.jpg.cf0618fc69ba85d09baddb724a890e3f.jpg

1573962438_YBBreak.thumb.jpg.f3372dacc8d3dc1b2b9ccacc2140586a.jpg

Archived