LegacyGT.com

Problems with EcuFlash

Leviathan

I can't get EcuFlash to communicate with my '05 LGT. RomRaider works fine. I installed the drivers. I'm using a VAG cable. I'm getting pretty fed up with this. If anyone has an idea please do share.

Which drivers are you using? The VAG-COM cables always worked on my 05 using the newest EcuFlash and its included drivers. Do _not_ use the FTDI-branded drivers, recent versions of EcuFlash won't work with them!

I was told the older version of EcuFlash will work. I just DL'd version 1.29. I'll try and see if I can get that to work. I actually bought a cable from 'Busted Finger Motorsports' which as I find out it's the same as the VAG com. They provided drivers as well, but as far as I can tell they didn't work at all.

Which drivers are you using? The VAG-COM cables always worked on my 05 using the newest EcuFlash and its included drivers. Do _not_ use the FTDI-branded drivers, recent versions of EcuFlash won't work with them!

I am currently using the FTDI drivers. What other options are there?

There's some misinformation out there. If you use the FTDI-branded drivers you need EcuFlash 1.29a or older. But the OpenPort-branded drivers included with recent versions of EcuFlash will work with the eBay KKL cables, and will allow you to use those recent EcuFlash versions.

If you want to use the latest version of EcuFlash, which I recommend, follow my instructions in this post:

My eBay VAG-COM KKL cable worked with the latest version of EcuFlash as long as I used the included OpenPort-branded drivers, NOT the FTDI-branded drivers.

Since you're using EcuFlash 1.29a I assume you're using the FTDI-branded drivers right now. So I suggest doing the following:

1. Plug in the KKL cable.
  2. Open Device Manager.
  3. Uninstall the cable's COM port. If it has an entry in the USB Controllers section delete that too. (I forget if it does or not.)
  4. Close Device Manager.
  5. Open Add or Remove Programs.
  6. Uninstall EcuFlash.
  7. Uninstall all FTDI and/or OpenPort driver entries. There will be at least two, maybe three.
  8. Close Add or Remove Programs.
  9. Unplug the KKL cable.
  10. Reboot.
  11. If the C:\Program Files\OpenECU directory still exists, delete it. (Or wherever you installed EcuFlash to.)
  12. Install the latest version of EcuFlash. (The latest stable release is 1.42.2595 as of this writing.)
  13. When the installation dialogs for the OpenPort drivers pop up as part of installing EcuFlash, install them too.

Btw the latest beta version of EcuFlash works well in my experience, but most of the improvements are for either OpenPort 2.0 users or Mitsubishi's, so you should probably stick to the stable release.

Archived