LegacyGT.com

Stage2 in CA

I wonder if anybody got into trouble for running a catted DP in CA. I read that if the car were to be pulled over by the police and inspected, it would get towed (anybody know the procedure to get the car back?). Also, the passing visual inspection for emissions would require some "friendly help". So my question is, what makes a stock DP look so much different than a high flow catted aftermarket DP?

I am considering Stage1 vs Stage2 and want to find out how much hassle Stage2 would be to warrant the extra 20~30 hp gain.

Thanks

I've been stage 2/3 for 3 years, no hassle hear. The stock DP does look very different than aftermarket DP's. As long as you don't have an annoyingly loud exhaust, our cars don't warrant very much attention from the police. I've never heard of a cali LGT get towed after being pulled over.

SMOG techs are instructed to count the number of cats, so they are more capable of knowing you have an aftermarket DP, moreso than a street cop. Most people put a stock downpipe back on the car for the smog test, and then put the aftermarket one back on afterwards.

If you don't want the hassle, just gut your stock downpipe. I believe gutted pipes can pass emissions and visual. Where in CA are you?

Welcome to the forums... What year car, where is CA are you located?

Try searching my friend.

Start Here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/norcal-california-emissions-and-inspection-thread-134921.html

Most obvious differences are the heatshields and the the casting. Stock DP's have a satin finish, many after market are polished stainless. Stock has Subaru stamped on it. Most after market have that manufacturers name stamped, molded or etched onto the pipe. Non-catted are slimmer ofcourse.

Unless you are giving law enforcement a reason to look at your car, you aren't going to get inspected on the road. You have to weigh the "hassel" factor between stg1 or 2. If neccessary, swapping back to stock to pass smog isn't a big deal. 2 hr job done yourself. About $250 if you paid a shop to do it for you. I personally think it's worth it. Lots of good info here. Take a look around and again, welcome.

As long as you don't have an annoyingly loud exhaust, our cars don't warrant very much attention from the police.

Its a bit problematic as I bought the car with a Prodrive exhaust, and some after market mid and Y pipes. When I test drove the car when it had some after market DP, it was borderline obnoxiously loud (at least inside the cabin). Since I bought the car from the dealer, they had to install an OEM DP so that the car would pass the smog test.

If you don't want the hassle, just gut your stock downpipe. I believe gutted pipes can pass emissions and visual. Where in CA are you?

I am in South Bay. I am planning to drive up to infamous at some point this summer to change my timing belts and get a tune. So before making the trip, I am trying to figure out if I want Stage1 or Stage2. I still miss my previous car (C5 Z06), and would like to add some power to the LGT, but at the same time I don't want frequent headaches... Would have kept the Z06, if I could fit a surfboard and a kite into it :)

Welcome to the forums... What year car, where is CA are you located?

It is a 2005, and I am in South Bay.

Start Here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/norcal-california-emissions-and-inspection-thread-134921.html

Most obvious differences are the heatshields and the the casting. Stock DP's have a satin finish, many after market are polished stainless. Stock has Subaru stamped on it. Most after market have that manufacturers name stamped, molded or etched onto the pipe. Non-catted are slimmer ofcourse.

Unless you are giving law enforcement a reason to look at your car, you aren't going to get inspected on the road. You have to weigh the "hassel" factor between stg1 or 2. If neccessary, swapping back to stock to pass smog isn't a big deal. 2 hr job done yourself. About $250 if you paid a shop to do it for you. I personally think it's worth it. Lots of good info here. Take a look around and again, welcome.

Thanks for the link; should be an informative read. I'll have to read up on the DP install howto, but 2 hrs is definitely not too terrible at all.

If you act like a douche, and don't let the cop look at your car, then they might tow it. However be polite and they might just send you to the ref station. Which then you just gotta put back on your stock parts and have them sign you off. For the most part, you shouldn't need to worry too much.

Sent from my you don't want to know

Archived