LegacyGT.com

Equal Length to Unequal Length Headers

AmSnow440

Bit of a weird situation here. I just bought a 2005 LGT that has an Equal Length Header on it, however I'm not too thrilled with how the car sounds at the moment (I want the boxer rumble back).

I see a lot of posts that recommend a tune after any modification and rightfully so. I am going to install the GTSpec Unequal Length Header and Up Pipe. This is my first turbo car so I am going to be very cautious before I change anything on the engine.

So my questions are:

1) Is a tune required to drive the car?

2) Is it ok to drive the car to the tuner without risking any damage?

Here are the current mods done to the engine:

- AMR One Piece Equal Length Header and Up Pipe

- Invidia Catless Downpipe

- Greddy EVO 2 CBE

- DW 750cc injectors

- Walbro 255

- Cobb Accessport V2 with custom tune

- Stock Intercooler

- Stock Turbo

- Stock Intake

- Stock BOV

^ Assuming you are already tuned for your mods (sans the new header), it is fine to drive to the tuner. In fact I would venture to say it is fine to drive without a tune. But unless you log, there is no way to tell if you are hurting your engine. IMO - I highly doubt you will hurt the engine by switching headers and not getting a tune. But then again, I am just some dude on the internet giving you advice! :)

BTW...you should expect to lose power by switching to unequal length headers. generally speaking, equal length headers make more power than unequal. Actually, considering your mods (pretty much a stage 2) setup, you will likely not lose much power. The difference is much more noticeable in Stage 3+ cars.

Good luck.

How much you want for the header? I don't care about the sound, and I was thinking about buying a elh, but I thought I might ask you and see how much you wanted.

• 1 month later...

Archived