LegacyGT.com

License Plate Bulbs Exploded

Hey guys,

I was dropping my buddy off at his house last night and when he got out of the car he immediatly called me and said my license plate lights were out. So after work today, I got some bulbs and when I went to replace them I noticed everything was melted. When I finally got the little bulb holders out the bulbs exploded inside the housing too. So I put the new bulbs in the connector and they work but unfortunately there is no way to get them back in the housing due to all the melted plastic. They even melted a little hole in each side of the clear plastic that lets them shine on the plate. Im not worried about buying the two little housing pieces that they sit in, the only thing im worried about is why did they get so hot? Shouldnt it have blown a fuse instead of getting to the point of melting everything and exploding? Has anyone else exprienced this problem?

Any advise is appreciated and also thanks in advance.

Mark

Get new bulb holders and mount LED lamps instead. Melting means that there was a local overheating, maybe due to the wrong bulb being used. It may not have been enough to blow a fuse since it's the same fuse that feeds the parking lights and optionally also the trailer lights.
453747.png

Archived