LegacyGT.com

Survey 2.5 SOHC Octane Performance

My 2000 Legacy GT AT from day one pings with the 87 octane as spec in owners manual. New knock sensor, MAP sensor, plugs, top engine and injector cleaning, flash and reset computer. Local tech helpful but SOA now blames Connecticut gasoline.

This engine ran in various models from late 99-03. Please post your experience regarding octane, local, MY and location.

Have you tried using 89 octane? Some cars that say the recommended fuel is 87, will actually run best and not ping with 89. I had a '96 Mustang GT that was programmed for 87 from the factory but ran great and didn't ping with 89.

I had exactly the same problem with my Legacy 2000 AT. That was the bad knock sensor thought there was no check engine code associated with it. Eventually, believe it or not, the cat converter was damaged because of pinging.

Definitely not something unheard of. Yes, generally taken care of by moving a grade up, though it generally has something to do with something faulty, like a knock sensor. I agree, try moving up a grade and see what the deal is. Do you usually use same fuel brand or alternate? I know another thing about fuel as well is that if they use a single hose to disperse 87/89/93, you may get 2-3 gallons of lowest grade fuel before you get what you desire, reason why I hunt out stations with seperate lines per octane, so I get same octane for full fill-up.

My 2003 Legacy, 23,000 miles, started pinging/knocking after filling up last week with 87 octane (Chevron). I always run 87 in it, must have just been a bad batch of gas. Usually have gotten good results with this brand. I filled up with 93 octane (another brand), and 1/4 tank later, ping/knock has stopped. Why can't we buy octance booster anymore (US)?

Archived