LegacyGT.com

A few install hints for STi Short Throw Shifter

(Mods please move to another forum if necessary)

I've done two installs of the STi short throw shifter in the past week. One to take the STS out of a Legacy GT (and put the stock one back in) and another to put the STS into a Legacy GT.

First one took me 1.5 hours to do the swap, second one took 40 mins or so to do the swap.

First, only the plastic trim around the shift boot needs to be popped up; the entire center console, e-brake, and arm rest area don't need to be touched. (Look for pics in another STS install thread)

Second, put the shifter into reverse.

Third, after loosening the lower link from the front bushing, remove the four bolts from the long, center heat shield.

Fourth, put a 12MM wrench on top of the nut above the vertically-oriented universal joint.

Fifth, using a long (12" or so) extension, and pushing the heat shield backwards somewhat (be careful not to push too hard as the shield will be against the O2 sensor), slide the extension and 12MM socket up to get onto the 12MM bolt at the bottom of the universal joint. Holding the wrench on the top nut, (skinny arms help here), loosen and remove the bolt.

When the nut and bolt are removed, pull the lower linkage forward to disconnect it from the rear bushing. Pull the entire assembly out from inside the car.

Refit everything in reverse order.

Hope this helps you if you're installing an STi STS.

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks for the tips, was able to install the shifter, and for those of you who say the shifter doesn't make a difference, I beg to differ. It is soo much more enjoyable driving.. might not be a big performance upgrade, but definitely better shifting. Feels good.

I think this is a good upgrade but not worth paying for the shifter and having the dealership install it. That would of cost over $500 all together and its definitely not worth all that. But if you can install it yourself, then it's definitely worth the price of the shifter.

That's all folks.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any pictures of this install? I am in the middle of it right now and am having problems. I am certainlly on the mechanically challanged part of things so if you have any advice, please use non-mechanical terms... Thanks for any help

• 3 months later...

Archived