LegacyGT.com

Installed 18x8 Offset 48 with 235/40/18 tires, now thers a noise.

Cyriel

Hey guys, I read the FAQ on the wheel and tire size and it would seem that an 18x8 offset 48 with tire size 235/40/18 should fit a 2008 Spec B.

I bought a used set of OZ Alleggerita's and put them on, they barely fit

the front struts so that was close. But now when i drive with the 2 rear seats folded down, theres a an odd creeking noise coming from the rear.

Happens when I hit certain bumps, sometimes it happens when I hit a large bump but sometimes happens on very small bumps.

This sound never occured when I had the stock wheels/tires on. Any idea on what it could be?

Solution: Rolled rear fenders. Anyone looking to go with these size rims and tires will need to roll the rear on stock suspension on a Spec B. Even though the wheel/tire FAQ says they fit it should actually read "may need to be rolled, depending on tires" or something like that.

Thanks for all the help/input

Should not be rubbing strut or spring. Maybe have a upper spring perch that needs some grease. Wheels do fit. But you changed the scrub. Center line of tire and point of leverage has changed. So, if you are getting noise I would check suspension set up.

Ok, i'm not too mechanically inclined but i'll get a friend to check the suspension. I'm running stock spec b suspension which are blistens if i recall correctly.

Does that mean i'll need new suspension to account for the change in scrub radius?

On stock Spec B suspension, not lowered at all.

Hope this picture helps. The offset of the rims are at 48

but if the rear suspension was under full and heavy load it would

definitely rub the fender, or the rubber part thats covering the inner fender.

Like the side wall of the tire is directly under the fender when its bent inwards and is covered

by the rubber.

If i remove the rubber part that m_sprank suggested wouldn't it just rub against the metal part of the fender and cut the tires and do more damage than the rubber cover?

photo.thumb.jpg.0e471f1584caf395c591fe149473c7bd.jpg

Removing the rubber liner gives you about 1/4" more clearance. It stops the rub on many cars. Once the rubber liner is off, if you still rub, its roll time.

That wheel tire combo WILL rub on a SpecB. Rubs with a 45mm offset too. I run both 45mm and 48mm on my SpecB.

Thats good to know Mike, thanks for the info, i'll look at place to roll now.

Do you guys have any pics of what the roll may look like, the search function on LGT doesn't work to great, it just takes you to threads that have that search word but doesn't take you directly to that page in the thread hahaha so its alot of page flipping.

With the fender roll, would they just roll that piece the weather stripping is on, upwards or will they need to pull as well? I don't like the pulled look so much, only because it wont sit flush with the rear bumper and such.

Just a roll. No pull needed. The lip gets rolled up and flush. Trick is to use proper tool (we use an Eastwood fender roller) and a heat gun to heat metal so as not to crack paint. It is harder to work the paint than it is to roll the fender, lol. Patience is key.

Try doing a google site search. Works way better than "search" here on the forum.

Ah ok, looks like i'll try to find a reputable shop to do it. I don't trust myself with that hahaha. Hopefully this will get rid of the creaking noise i hear.

M_Sprank did you have to roll the front fenders too?

I think i should be ok in the front running stock height, they wheels seem to tuck into the wheel well alot more in the front than in the back for some odd reason

Archived