LegacyGT.com

Please help with pad selection...vibraiton issues

zvilly

I purchased a set of OEM rotors and Stoptech street performance pads back in January. After about 8000 miles, the pads left some pretty bad deposits on the rotors, causing steering wheel vibration above 40 mph. Upon installation, the bed-in procedure was done as per Stoptech's instructions. I have read the Stoptech article and follow the common sense ways to prevent uneven pad deposits.

I brake fairly aggressively on the street, mabye once or twice I actually smelled the brakes due to heat. I never hold the brake pedal when I'm stopped after a hard braking session. The car is never tracked.

I plan on getting a new set of pads and rotors to eliminate the vibration. Perhaps with my driving style I need a more aggressive pad that can take heat better such as Hawk HP+ or EBC yellow? I really don't want to put up with too much squealing and associated noise that comes with running "track pads".

Can you please suggest a pad/rotor combo that would not likely leave deposits? I really don't want to spend $300 every 8000miles on brakes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Maybe the slotted rotors will help with the pad deposits....I really wouldn't want to use the HP+ as the car is a daily driver and I don't really want to put up with the squealing. Maybe the HPS is better than Stoptech street performance...

It is your driving style. It will happen with any combo. Clean your rotors with a green Scotch Brite pad. Then using an abrasive flat surface sand down the pad a bit (mm or less). Then re-install and re-bed. Pad deposits are normal. Break aggressively and you get to clean your brakes often.

m sprank, will the Scotch Brite pad really take the deposits off the rotors? Do I need to use a chemical? I thought I would need to at least use sandpaper to take the deposits off, which I believe would make the surface even more uneven.

I never heard of "cleaning the brakes" before.

It's worth a shot.

I just read on Stoptech's site that if I use an aggressive track pad and do several braking sessions without heating the pad to it's operating temp, the pad will take all the deposits off the rotors with abrasive friction. The rotors will be clean and I can re-bed the street pads again. I will give this a try and report back.

We use the solvent tank/parts washer and pads. It seems to work. But pad deposits are normal for those that like to brake heavier.

My old man used to scream that it was easier too change pads than clutches. So, I tend to coast in neutral to stops. Even from 6th. I am not much for engine braking. Not unless I am on the track. So, I get to clean brakes often, lol.

Archived