LegacyGT.com

2010 legacy Gt stereo

coppertone

Hello, my car came with the Hk system which was swapped out. Meaning new component speakers new custom mounted subwoofer Jl Audio 900/5 amp and several and I do mean several high end radios. Three of them crapped out on me in the first month of ownership. Currently have Alpine double din installed. My radio reception is poor at best. I'm looking to have the audio shop put my OEM one back in so at the least I will be able to list to music again. There suggestion is a line level converter to match the OEM radio to my amp. Has anyone ever had this done, and how do you like it ?
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

Not recommended. No line level converter will ever match the clean signal from an aftermarket radio. There must be something wrong with your antenae input. My alpine head brings in radio signals cristal clear.

On your radio reception, make sure that your installer connected pin 9 on your 20-pin radio harness to a wire on your HU that provides +12V. Your car has an antenna booster amplifier which requires that for its power. Reception will suck if it isn't operating.

It would also be a good idea to check the antenna coax cable to make sure it wasn't damaged during installation. The car's plug is down near the floor, and it's very easy to rip the tiny coax cable out of the crimped connector.

If you were to switch back to your OEM radio...

In 2010-2011 Legacys/Outbacks with the h/k system, the HU sends line-level signals to the h/k amp. So the OEM HU could be connected directly to the line inputs on your JL Audio amp.

Some of the OEM HUs even have a secret line-level sub out (on unused pins on the 24-pin aux socket) -- the OEM under-seat sub accessory uses that. I'm not sure which OEM HUs have that output. I'm pretty sure the HU does not have any settings to adjust the sub out, so you would need to set the relative level with your amp.

Ordinarily, the h/k amp derives its sub channel from the 4 main speaker channels.

The OEM navi HU does have menu options to adjust its line-level sub out.

• 2 weeks later...
OK here is the latest, my factory radio has been reintalled with a line level converter. Sounds great whn the volume is at 1 or above. Below that or off makes a hissing sound. I am attributing this to the gain on the amp being turned up? I have a brand new still in the box Kenwood DNX 9960HD radio. I'm looking for a better shop to install this to not only eliminate the hissing sound, but also because its no point in letting a $1800.00 radio sit in the closet. Any opinions, advice please feel free to chime in. Tia....

Why don't you look into a processor like the Audison BitOne, RF three60, JL Audio Cleansweep or the JBL (can't remember the exact model off the top of my head). They will clean up the signal to your amp.

The Audison, although a bit expensive, gives some fantastic results.

I believe the 2010 Leggies do not have integrated HVAC/Radio and don't really need processors (they can just change out the stock radio easily). I tried the cleansweep with marginal results. Not nearly as good as my highend Alpine head unit.

True that the head unit can be swapped out relatively easily with a new fascia kit. Some people just prefer the lines/look of the factory stereo. A decent processor like the Audison BitOne (probably one of the best processors on the market) will give results comparible to a decent head unit. They are also used hanging off good aftermarket head units with some excellent results.

Yea , I've heard nothing but praise regarding the Audison Bitone. For integrated functionality it works great. My Alpine is an older model and has Time alignment, Crossover settings 6,12,18,24 db/oct etc . Ridiculous capabilities (before they went to the separate Odyssey module). Bought used on Ebay for $ 125 . Great bang for the buck. I had to install it in the cubby hole above the radio. Might have considered the Audison unit if it had been around at the time of my install.

I'm sorry if I posted incorrectly let me start again. I have had five high end head units in this car to date. Starting with Kenwood Excelon series and ending with Alpine. I started out with the Rockford Fosgate 360V2 and went to the JL Audio clean sweep after that. Neither of which on this car performed as stated. The first Kenwood froze on me and was quickly swapped out. After that all I have had in this car are aftermarket radios. The reason for me going back to the factory was my radio reception was poor to say the least. With the factory radio they did a line level but with my aftermarket amp, I AK getting a hissing sound when the volume is down. So I have a NIB Kenwood DNX 9980HD radio that will be going back in. My main concern is once again lack of radio reception. But if I stick with the factory,I will continue to have this hissing sound. Advice needed please.:spin:

I'm sorry if I posted incorrectly let me start again. I have had five high end head units in this car to date. Starting with Kenwood Excelon series and ending with Alpine. I started out with the Rockford Fosgate 360V2 and went to the JL Audio clean sweep after that. Neither of which on this car performed as stated. The first Kenwood froze on me and was quickly swapped out. After that all I have had in this car are aftermarket radios. The reason for me going back to the factory was my radio reception was poor to say the least. With the factory radio they did a line level but with my aftermarket amp, I AK getting a hissing sound when the volume is down. So I have a NIB Kenwood DNX 9980HD radio that will be going back in. My main concern is once again lack of radio reception. But if I stick with the factory,I will continue to have this hissing sound. Advice needed please.:spin:

Did you read this post from SVXdc above? This guy really knows his stuff. Seems like you glanced right over this

On your radio reception, make sure that your installer connected pin 9 on your 20-pin radio harness to a wire on your HU that provides +12V. Your car has an antenna booster amplifier which requires that for its power. Reception will suck if it isn't operating.

It would also be a good idea to check the antenna coax cable to make sure it wasn't damaged during installation. The car's plug is down near the floor, and it's very easy to rip the tiny coax cable out of the crimped connector.

If you were to switch back to your OEM radio...

In 2010-2011 Legacys/Outbacks with the h/k system, the HU sends line-level signals to the h/k amp. So the OEM HU could be connected directly to the line inputs on your JL Audio amp.

Some of the OEM HUs even have a secret line-level sub out (on unused pins on the 24-pin aux socket) -- the OEM under-seat sub accessory uses that. I'm not sure which OEM HUs have that output. I'm pretty sure the HU does not have any settings to adjust the sub out, so you would need to set the relative level with your amp.

Ordinarily, the h/k amp derives its sub channel from the 4 main speaker channels.

The OEM navi HU does have menu options to adjust its line-level sub out.

Seriously.

In other words, to use your OEM radio with an aftermarket amp, you do not need a line output converter. Your HU was already sending line level (low level) signals out of the speaker pins on the 20-pin radio harness.

By adding a LOC into the path, you were further reducing the signal levels (and having to boost the amp's gain to compensate, which is likely the cause of the hiss).

To inspect the factory antenna connections, see this thread.

Archived