LegacyGT.com

Sad day indeed- Clutch spin - dif noises.

So on my way to work, I was traveling at about 65 on the highway. decided to pass the guy infront of me, decided to not downshift. all is going well till im paralell with the guy, i decide to put my foot into it a little more, *Revv* but wait... hes still right next to me.. :/ :mad: the diff noises have been there since i purchased the vehicle. Under any kind of coasting not very speed dependent there's a whine/whir/buzz/*dzzzzzzzzzzz* Noise from the rear. any amount of acceleration puts a temporary stop to the noise. :spin: when this clutch goes out I'm very tempted to do the 6speed swap. I've been pricing things out but i dont have much savings, but i'm not going to spend 2grand redoing this stock 5mt setup when i can get the 6 for 3-4.

If my motorcycle sell then I'll do it right then. but if it doesn't then i guess i'll have to pull a loan either way for the repair -__- being young and stupid.

Just kinda a rant I guess.

84330 on the clock right now, previous owner said clutch was replaced at a subaru dealership in texas when he purchased it at 61k. I've put 2k on it.

we have 3 diffs, 2 of which are in the trans(front and center diffs). 1 of the 2 (the front diff) is right behind the clutch. if the front or rear diff goes, the center will not be able to transfer power well to the other, even in "lock or hump" mode. it will feel like a slipping clutch buts its not. now the diff has to shred its internal gears in order to do this.

ive blown my rear diff(Launching hard during autox) twice and i know that a blown rear or front diff would make the car seem like a slipping clutch. Ive also broken a rear axle and a similar situation occured. was able to drive home for all scenarios though.

The diff is in the back, the clutch is at the engine, two different things and it sounds like two different problems. The whine sounds like a diff problem, the rev's without moving forward on the highway sounds like a clutch slip.

Pretty sure that's what i said. Don't know if part of my post made it seem like i didn't know that I had 2 different problems and that i don't know the layout of the car. XD. But thank you for contributing.

ive blown my rear diff(Launching hard during autox) twice and i know that a blown rear or front diff would make the car seem like a slipping clutch. Ive also broken a rear axle and a similar situation occured. was able to drive home for all scenarios though.

+1

Good to know that a blown diff would feel similar, I've ben through a few clutches in trucks and offroading cars. I haven't ever lost a rear axle or diff before. I've dropped a drive shaft in a truck but it was in 4wd at the time. and i've lost front axles out of the same truck but no symptoms of that felt like clutch.

Archived