LegacyGT.com

Dr. Colorchip (video inside)

So I bought a kit for my Odyssey and my Corolla. I haven't done the Corolla yet, but I'm thinking that will be a better demonstration. The hood on the van is a repaint and the chips are ridiculously deep. This stuff definitely works well though. The secret sauce is definitely that pink stuff. The paint is just paint, but the pink solvent is what smooths out the paint that smears over the panel. It is a brilliant idea though.

I'm going to head over to a client's house tonight who has volunteered his black '94 Supra for testing. :) The whole car needs to be repainted at some point in the future, but he said if I could reduce the appearance of the chips he has now then he can be happier with it in the meantime. So I'll take what pictures I can and post the results. So far I'm encouraged and pretty happy with what this does. It is kind of expensive in my opinion, but it does seem to last awhile. I did the whole hood of the van and most of the bumper and I barely used a finger's worth of the pink stuff. I should have just bought one kit and sourced the touch up paint for the other car somewhere else and saved some money... However the good news is I've got plenty of it, so if you are in the Salt Lake area and have some chips and already have the touch up paint, give me a call and you are welcome to try it out.

So if you already have OE touchup paint all you need is the pink solvent?

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I have tried dealership paint and it doesn't work very well. You can give it a shot, but it definitely works best with body shop mixed paint. The duplicolor (dealership paint) is much thicker than the paint they provide, so that could be part of it too. However, solutions like Langka don't care where the paint comes from since it wants it dried first anyway. Dr. Colorchip needs the paint to remain wet. OE paint would probably work better if you thinned it out a bit first, so I'd try that for sure before using it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I've used it on dark blue and charcoal grey and it came out great on both colors. I have no doubt it would work well on grey. I really need to get some good video of this stuff working. The only person I have around to hold the camera for me is 8 years old and he tends to point it at everything other than what I want to show. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm pretty interested in this stuff too. My DBM paint has a few chips scattered around. Between that and the crack in the bottom of my headlight that keeps burning out my turn signal, i'm starting to suspect this guy drove exclusively behind gravel trucks on the highway before i got it.

I've spent the last three days polishing my car and touching up all of the rock chips and scratches which couldn't be polished out. My wife has been out of town and I've been kind of bored, but this was definitely a good way to fill the time. Anyway, I had some egg damage from some punk who decided they didn't like this car several years ago. Two eggs hit the car and did some lovely damage. For those of you who don't know what egg damage looks like, it looks like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/eggdamage.jpg

That isn't my car, but I had two of those on my back door and rear fender. Bastards... Anyway, I've never tried fixing them before simply because the process I would have used wouldn't have done much good on them. I had never considered just mashing the paint into the damaged area and wiping it off... So since I was fixing scratches anyway, I figured what the hell? All I can tell you is this... If you have egg damage then you NEED this system. It totally fixed the problem. The chips are so fine and tiny that there isn't a mark left. Two areas of damage which would have probably cost me three hundred bucks at a body shop were fixed in under 5 minutes. My Dr. Colorchip system remains the best $60 bucks I have ever spent on my car.

I tried to take pictures, but my cell phone was the only camera I had and it just wouldn't focus on the damage. I did my best and you can see that other than a couple deeper chips, this particular one disappeared almost entirely. The first one I did is the one I should have photographed. It went away 100 percent.

Here is the damage:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/IMG_20120606_193800.jpg

After I smeared the paint across it:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/IMG_20120606_193855.jpg

After I wiped the paint off:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/IMG_20120606_193959.jpg

Some of those white specs are just dust and not really chips. I could probably do this again on that spot and fill in the rest of those few chips that didn't quite level out, but the bottom line is that you would never know this damage was there if you hadn't seen it before. The product works brilliantly!

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
Someone on another forum told me to just wait and see what it looks like after the next wash. The thing people need to be clear on is that this isn't just some wax stick which washes out of the chips. It's not some pigment mush that temporarily hides things. You are putting paint into the scratch or chip and merely wiping the excess off the paint surrounding it. If you went to a body shop for the repair they would do essentially the same thing, just with a different process. There is nothing different between doing it this way and theirs except for the fact that this way will preserve the clearcoat on the rest of the paint surrounding the damage. A body shop is going to paint it and then wetsand it and then polish it. Or they might airbrush it and leave a very recognizable patch in the right kind of light. This is a permanent solution to your rock chips as long as the chip is prepped right and is clean. Check out the process on YouTube. The videos are to be believed. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 month later...

Archived