LegacyGT.com

glove box apart, latch broken, heavy piece of metal?

jahousafat

The only reason I can think of for Subaru installing a 2-3lb piece of metal in the glove box door, is so the door will fall open on it's own when unlatched??? I just had to take my glove box apart because my latch had broken the plastic tabs in 2 of the 3 mounting locations. I'm about to glue it back together, but I don't know if I should lose the metal piece and shave some weight, or leave it there so the door works like it's supposed to. Anyone else run in to this issue?

I superglued 2 of the 3 mounting tabs for the handle/latch assembly back on. Decided to drop the 2.5lb metal frame. I drilled a port hole in the end of the suction tube that operates the door string to make it a little less powerful. The weight of the door isn't enough to open on its own now, but I don't mind helping it open as a trade off. My glove box always hung funny and bugged me. Now it fits flush and weighs 2.5lbs less.

• 1 year later...
hey man i had a problem with my cord breaking and i just got my glove box apart. where exactly did it hook to inside of the glove box i know where it hooks on the dash just cant figure out the interior

Archived