LegacyGT.com

First Learning View's - No Knock...MAF Scaling off?

Black_Rain

Hello - Car 100000% stock...no mods or anything. Lots of highway and some city.

Pulled a learning view and saw no knock, took a sigh of relief. noticed the A/F Learning was a big high though, so I tried to read up about it. Would love your input.

First LV was today. Second LV was after 1.5 hour drive, some stop/go traffic and a 3rd gear pull, but mostly highway. I'm concerned about the 14.7% and 15%

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/scr5008/LearningView_SS_5-27-201115544PM.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/scr5008/LearningView_SS_5-27-201140057PM.jpg

So I did a lot of poking around for a vac leak today, nothing showed up under visual inspection. Going to do a little more research and another look. I also replaced the filter and will clean the MAF, any chance that'll help the higher numbers?

Cleaning the filter would probably want to make the numbers higher if they could go higher. I've seen just not having the filter properly installed and box properly sealed cause that A trim to go full positive while not having as big an effect on the other trims. Make sure the filter is seated in there correctly and that the airbox is locked together correctly.

Ok, so I did a lot of checking for vacuum leaks and couldn't find anything. I'll do a soap test on the up pipe soon, and possibly remove the intercooler to check the TB hose and t-tubing (unless someone can tell me how to get to the t-tube w/o removing it?), but I'm trying to link certain things together as well.

I decided to log my roughness in all cylinders @ idle last night, I occasionally throw P0302/3/4 CELs, and just attributed it to bad gas/older plugs (replaced now)/injectors. I was seeing NO roughness on Cyl 1/3/4, but on Cyl 2 there were misfires every few seconds. It decreased around 1500 rpm, and I'm really not concerned. From what I learned doing my research, I could invest in new stock injectors or something like that, not sure if it's worth it. Thoughts?

I also wanted to ask if that roughness/misfire count in cyl 2 at idle could be throwing the above A trim in my LV's off? Since I could find no vac. leaks, has anyone else seen this effect? My boost is peaking at 12.62 in two separate 3rd gear WOT logs, so I suppose a leak could be there, but also I'm running at 100 degree intake air temp... it's been hot these days! I feel like my engine just wont boost that high with such humidity/heat.

I'm still very new to logging/interpereting all this data, so any thoughts on the above helps tremendously!

Car - Stock map... just an sti up pipie installed w/ new gaskets by a real mechanic

Also my FBKC was all 0 for my WOT logs, and no knock count... was real happy about that.

**edit - I also pulled a LV last night after another 200 miles on my car since the first LV's posted above, A trim was down to 13.9. Going to keep monitoring it. I did replace the filter, didn't clean the MAF yet. Can't imagine the filter is dropping the A trim though (as stated above)

Ok, so I did a lot of checking for vacuum leaks and couldn't find anything. I'll do a soap test on the up pipe soon, and possibly remove the intercooler to check the TB hose and t-tubing (unless someone can tell me how to get to the t-tube w/o removing it?), but I'm trying to link certain things together as well.

I decided to log my roughness in all cylinders @ idle last night, I occasionally throw P0302/3/4 CELs, and just attributed it to bad gas/older plugs (replaced now)/injectors. I was seeing NO roughness on Cyl 1/3/4, but on Cyl 2 there were misfires every few seconds. It decreased around 1500 rpm, and I'm really not concerned. From what I learned doing my research, I could invest in new stock injectors or something like that, not sure if it's worth it. Thoughts?

I also wanted to ask if that roughness/misfire count in cyl 2 at idle could be throwing the above A trim in my LV's off? Since I could find no vac. leaks, has anyone else seen this effect? My boost is peaking at 12.62 in two separate 3rd gear WOT logs, so I suppose a leak could be there, but also I'm running at 100 degree intake air temp... it's been hot these days! I feel like my engine just wont boost that high with such humidity/heat.

I'm still very new to logging/interpereting all this data, so any thoughts on the above helps tremendously!

Car - Stock map... just an sti up pipie installed w/ new gaskets by a real mechanic

Also my FBKC was all 0 for my WOT logs, and no knock count... was real happy about that.

**edit - I also pulled a LV last night after another 200 miles on my car since the first LV's posted above, A trim was down to 13.9. Going to keep monitoring it. I did replace the filter, didn't clean the MAF yet. Can't imagine the filter is dropping the A trim though (as stated above)

still sounds like you have a vac leak. when you have a leak it can cause a misfire in 1 or more cylinders randomly. My 08 had bad intake manifold gaskets and would misfire on all cylinders with a lean code until the engine was up to temp (gaskets soften and seal). either you're intake manifold gaskets are leaking or you're not looking hard enough at ALL the vac tubes. there's hundreds of them. you want all the trims NO greater than +/- 5%. so until it's in that range, your leak is still there BRO.

you need to remove the IC to get at the throttle body tube, it takes 5 seconds to pull off, 3 12mm bolts and 2 clamps. my STRONG suggestion is to remove the IC and look at all the vac tubes that lie under it into the manifold, there should be like 3 or 4...and they randomly pop off. and you're still not hitting factory boost so it should be a significant leak/tube popped off.

BRO.

Thanks, Brah.

I'm not disagreeing w/ you at all, just thought now that I have a few more logs and observations, i'd throw them into the pot. I'll rip off the IC sometime next weekend, it was part of my plan, just out of town this weekend... I know it wont take long, but I can't risk an hour of unplanned struggle to get the TB hose to line back up.

My 08 had bad intake manifold gaskets and would misfire on all cylinders with a lean code until the engine was up to temp (gaskets soften and seal).

BRO.

Isn't more likely the increased seal was due to the thermal expansion of the aluminum, therefore reducing the gap and tightening the tolerances? Most, if not all, of the gaskets are made of materials that do not soften to seal, but rather allow for a bit of flex (movement) due to above mentioned thermal expansion. What are the intake gaskets, basically something like EPDM or silicon, and the others are MLS? I don't know. I have not dealt with the ones on this car yet, but this what I gather.

So to add to the list of "look for this" you may also check for loose bolts.

Just a suggestion from an inexperienced LGT noob. lol. good luck with it!

My 08 had bad intake manifold gaskets and would misfire on all cylinders with a lean code until the engine was up to temp (gaskets soften and seal).

BRO.

Isn't more likely the increased seal was due to the thermal expansion of the aluminum, therefore reducing the gap and tightening the tolerances? Most, if not all, of the gaskets are made of materials that do not soften to seal, but rather allow for a bit of flex (movement) due to above mentioned thermal expansion. What are the intake gaskets, basically something like EPDM or silicon, and the others are MLS? I don't know. I have not dealt with the ones on this car yet, but this what I gather.

So to add to the list of "look for this" you may also check for loose bolts.

Just a suggestion from an inexperienced LGT noob. lol. good luck with it!

I'm not really 100% sure as i didn't measure the tolerance when the engine was cold or hot, all I know is the idle smoothed out when it was warmed and didn't misfire.

if your referring to that n00b that took three days to reinstall his IC, don't expect that. it all goes back on the same time as it comes off. :lol:

haha I guess I am, maybe i'll give it a try tomorrow if i'm not too hungover

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
im going to recommend replacing the turbo inlet especially after anyone touches the turbo.

I actually just got done doing that last weekend as the old one was torn to hell. I want to go stage 2 shortly but can't seem to get the idle trim down. The other 3 trims are fine.

Archived