LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for travelers

fishbone

I figured the foodies might benefit from a thread in which those of us that are traveling can ask others for recommendations. I personally don't always trust things like Yelp or Urbanspoon.

I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs / Denver area this week-end. I have a few places on a list but looking for more.

Must try Puerto Palomas Mexican Restaurant at 208 N. Union Blvd., Colorado Springs featured on Man vs. Food.

Try the El Gordo Burrito - 2 mega tortillas measuring approximate 20'' in length and 4'' thick, stuffed with 5lbs.of either carnitas, barbacoa, carne asada or all mixed, lettuce guacamole, mayo, cheese

Thanks Ruski!

Food Network's website was the first stop but I forgot about Man vs Food! All I checked was Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives which didn't have much. I will let you know if I end up doing the challenge.

food at Casa Bonita is not good...Taco Bell is probably better, it's basically just a buffet, but it's an experience. It's one of those 'Denver things' so everyone has been there. Kids love it.

As for food, what style are you looking for? Downtown along Larimer Square there are some great places, like Rioja...then there's the Highlands, just west of downtown with places like Duo. Lots to choose from.

Anything that stood out in your mind. I realize locals can line up a list I wouldn't even come close to remembering, so just wondering what I'd be able to check out that's more or less a local thing, a good pub that offers a nice experience through atmosphere, stuff like that.

The trip plans are looking like we'd be spending the entire time in Colorado Springs, so Denver is going to be a in-and-out sort of deal. We only got so much time and I already want to see too many things. Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, etc.

Oh, and this is what I was talking about. I don't think I can spot a single place you guys mentioned on the Urbanspoon recommended list. So many asshole reviewers out there giving stars based on "the chairs were too stiff" or "I don't like blond servers". WTF

How about a good burger place and/or Pub in Colorado Springs? Conway's, noted.

I had O'Furry's noted down as well.

As someone always travelling, I'll share my two rules for finding food in an unfamiliar town:

1) Find a brew-pub. Not usually an amazing dining experience, but 90% of the time, the food is good, and you get to try new beers (which is always a good thing).

2) Find a University - start at the University and work out. Usually a neighborhood with good places to eat within a mile.

These two simple rules have served me well everywhere but Rock Springs, WY.

Archived