LegacyGT.com

2011 Outback - Leather seat issues

drstorms

I purchased a new 2011 Subaru Outback Limited about 3 months ago... I just had to have the leather due to my two small kids. The very first thing I did when I picked the car up before I even drove it was put the protective covers over the seats prior to putting the two child booster seats in. Well... a few days ago I decided to vacuum the car for the very first time and upon removing the booster seats discover a clean 3" tear in the leather directly in the center of where the booster seat sits!!!!! The car hasn't even hit 3000 miles yet and there is nothing that could have punctured the seats!!!!! POOR QUALITY!!!!!!

Has anyone else had issues like this? I am hoping Subaru will replace the back seat under warranty. My daughter weighs less than 40lbs and her seat has no sharp objects protruding from it... like I said, I even covered the leather the day I picked the car up. I am very disappointed with the Outback at this point.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Not really sure where to go with this one.

Don

• 4 months later...
I purchased a new 2011 Subaru Outback Limited about 3 months ago... I just had to have the leather due to my two small kids. The very first thing I did when I picked the car up before I even drove it was put the protective covers over the seats prior to putting the two child booster seats in. Well... a few days ago I decided to vacuum the car for the very first time and upon removing the booster seats discover a clean 3" tear in the leather directly in the center of where the booster seat sits!!!!! The car hasn't even hit 3000 miles yet and there is nothing that could have punctured the seats!!!!! POOR QUALITY!!!!!!

Has anyone else had issues like this? I am hoping Subaru will replace the back seat under warranty. My daughter weighs less than 40lbs and her seat has no sharp objects protruding from it... like I said, I even covered the leather the day I picked the car up. I am very disappointed with the Outback at this point.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Not really sure where to go with this one.

Don

We had a luxury car with leather and a car seat did some damage to the seat. It was one of those Doh! moments. The car seat we used had long thin runners on each side that made nice stretch marks. I also love leather, but leather doesn't have the "memory" elastic quality that cloth does. Leather stretched beyond it's limits rips. Leather is durable, but susceptible to tears and punctures.

I wish you luck on this and hope Subaru fixes it for you. My suggestion would be to sweet talk the dealer. Good luck and let us know.

We had no issues whatsoever with the dealership. I brought it in to have them take a look at it and without any questions, they ordered a new rear seat! It took about 2 weeks for the part to come in but I brought it over yesterday and they installed a brand new lower seat. Thanks Feder's Subaru!!! I once again covered the seats prior to installing the car seats but am keeping my fingers crossed this time that it does not happen again. I think the leather on this seat is not wrapped as tight. That may have been the issue because I know nothing could have punctured it.

We had no issues whatsoever with the dealership. I brought it in to have them take a look at it and without any questions, they ordered a new rear seat! It took about 2 weeks for the part to come in but I brought it over yesterday and they installed a brand new lower seat. Thanks Feder's Subaru!!! I once again covered the seats prior to installing the car seats but am keeping my fingers crossed this time that it does not happen again. I think the leather on this seat is not wrapped as tight. That may have been the issue because I know nothing could have punctured it.

Wow! That is fantastic. Way to go Subaru. I hope our dealer is so receptive to warranty issues. That is probably an expensive job they just did for free.

Great!

Archived