LegacyGT.com

A worthy replacement for the leggy?

I want to stick with at sedan though. I have a 2 year old and like the extra doors. I’m not really looking for a luxury car and I’d actually prefer to avoid one. After considering performance, reliability, and the other features I’m looking for the BMW and Audi just happened to be a good fit.

Let me know what you think of the B7 after you drive it.

only the 92X, but that was a while ago from what I hear.

I have looked and looked for cars comparable, and have yet to find one that is as well rounded as the LGT. If something happens to my LGT, I am going to look into the Aeros(93/95) The old ones are Fugly, but the new ones are nice! I have a 97x(Suv) and it drives really nice! Fit and finish is dang near perfect and has a smooth but confident ride.

G35 x – No manual/slow

Lancer Ralliart – More than 20k and no manual, never had good luck with mitsu engines

Mazdaspeed6 - Electrical Whores, 2 out of 3 mazdas I have had have had stupid electrical problems. The one I didn't was a 79 and I didn't have it long enough to find out all the problems.

Would have to loose the AWD and stick(I think it only comes in auto), but I didn't see any issues with a v8. So my suggestion is a G8 or if you are looking for a brand that is still around then the Caddy CTSv, and it does come with a stick. Also both are super easy to add more power to. With cams and headers we had a friend of mines GTO over 400. about a days install and 2k.

Would have to loose the AWD and stick(I think it only comes in auto), but I didn't see any issues with a v8. So my suggestion is a G8 or if you are looking for a brand that is still around then the Caddy CTSv, and it does come with a stick. Also both are super easy to add more power to. With cams and headers we had a friend of mines GTO over 400. about a days install and 2k.

A CTS-V is almost $70k...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I wouldn't touch an 04 CTS-V. I test drove two along with that S4. It was TERRIBLE. The early versions of those cars aged horribly.

I'd get an E39 M5 before I got an 04 CTS-V.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I just came out of a 2003 (B6) Audi A4 1.8T Quattro in March. Loved it for all 140k miles I drove it. It was reliable as hell until I screwed a transmission through my own stupidity and even then drove with a janky first gear for 20k miles. It was lightly modded (APR Stage I+) for most of its life. The only electrical problem I had was the driver's seat harness got cut and I had to repair it. I replaced the trans and did the timing belt on the car twice; it is not hard to work on in most cases except that some clearances are tight between the motor and say the firewall that makes it hard to reach things on the back of the engine. I did have a problem with the rear cooling flange/elbow breaking off (it was plastic). Not a hard repair except for the location. Oh I did have a set of coil packs go at about 70k; replaced and never had another problem with them. It is a 5 minute job in a parking lot without tools in most cases. If it worries you get a set and keep them in a box in the trunk.

I've driven a B8 S4 and it is a great car even with just a software upgrade. Still pretty expensive though. The B8 A4 is a damn fine car as well and the TFSI 2.0T responds well to upgrades. If you get one you want a Premium Plus or Prestige package; the lower trim levels feel kinda sparse.

I loved the B5 S4s; but they can be a maintenance nightmare. The V6TT is a great motor, especially with the RS4 spec K04 turbos to replace the failure prone stock K03s. That is a 21 book hour job and for most people it takes that long; that is a motor pull on the B5s.

A later B7 2.0T are also great cars. Go with the later ones to avoid the high pressure fuel pump follower cam issues as those cars had roller bearings from the factory. Parts for the Audis though are expensive; they are priced like a premium car and the mods for them are priced that way too.

I love my Spec.B though. It is 98% of the car the Audi is for 15-20k cheaper. I don't miss that 2% very often. And if I do a quick stab on the long peddle cures it.

There are very few AWD manual options out there that are worth a damn. Subaru and Audi make the best in my opinion by far.

• 1 month later...
So I drove a 06 A4 2.0t Quattro and a 08 A4 2.0t. Both were autos. The Quattro got off the line decent, but immediately died down and was painfully slow. The FWD A4 was obviously faster, but only enough for me to consider it adequate. I also drove a 06 A3 2.0t auto I assume it was FWD since it did not have a Quattro badge. It got off the line quick and had good acceleration. When I got in it, it felt a little small and when I closed the door small became cramped and I’m only 5’ 2” 138 lbs. Backing up was difficult due to very poor visibility. It also lacked cargo room and getting two baby seats in the back will be a tight fit. I’ve always heard how great Audi interiors are, but I was not impressed. They are fairly nice, just not fantastic. Both A4’s were noisy for luxury cars. My mom’s 80’s 190e and my wife’s Murano are quieter. I didn’t notice much noise in the A3, but the AC was up kind of high though so I really can’t judge it too well. I don’t mean for this to sound like I’m bashing Audi. Maybe a tune would really liven thing up and or the auto really hinders acceleration. I kept an open mind and these were my honest thoughts. I also drove a 04 G35X sedan. It had a little pep, but I found it a little noisy for a luxury car too and the interior was just ok. I though maybe the extra power and performance from an 05+, a MT, and a few bolt ons would make it satisfactory, but I couldn’t justify spending that much money on something that will only be satisfactory. I decided to get an econo box and either trade it in for a 335 when they come down to my range or keep it and build a sleeper/beater. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input, it was much appreciated.

Archived