LegacyGT.com

Need help identifying this noise under acceleration

This started 2 days ago. I'm wondering if there's simply a loose hose clamp, or the 3-way splitter that's used for the STi gauge cluster needs to be replaced.

This happens when I accelerate with moderate to heavy load under any gear. Even from a dead stop. Seems to happen with the accelerator over 75%.

Happens more on the highway when trying to pass someone. I don't feel any power loss.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/th_IMG_19301.jpg

Link goes to my photobucket. / Video.

Define "strange noise", is it the constant tone or the "clanking" or "coughing" that is heard twice?

If it's the tone then you may have a leak of some kind. I hope that the radio was turned off when you did this test.

If nothing else - try to plug the suspect connection to the gauge cluster and see if it helps.

453747.png

Im certain that clanking noise you were referring to was cabin ambiant noise. The noise i was trying to convey was the "bomb fin" type noose you hear at the start DURING acceleration.

Since i posted this thread, the problem persists but it has grown quieter and only presents itself when accelerating under heavy load.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/IMG_1999.jpg

I found the issue. Worm gear (clamp) on the exit of the TMIC popped and needed to be replaced. Looks like the seal around the hose (silicon) prolapsed on the bottom and blew out. Tucked the seal back in, snugged in teh TMIC the best I could and put a new clamp on.

No noise, massive pickup in PSI and torque. Guess it blew a week ago and I didn't really notice until the seal turned inside out.

Hope it helps someone in the future.

Archived