LegacyGT.com

Best Aftermarket small-sub

Catbeater

I want to add a little bit (read: little) of oomph to the sound system in my car, and I was thinking of adding a sub. I don't need anything over the top, in fact I don't want anything heavy, just a little bit.

I also don't want to spend too much money. Is there a really good aftermarket underseat subwoofer out there that would work well for my purposes?

Looking for any ideas on what kinds of setups I could create...

I'm not sure you really need a sub. If you want a fever amount of low frequency you need at least a 10" driver (or an 8" with the proper box, but at that point your taking up more space than a small box 12" driver...) however, if you just want a bit more low end then a good set of components with a soils midbass driver will do the trick. You will need an amp though. I have a CDT component set that i ran in my last car. It craves power, but the little 6.5" midbass drivers dig quite low and offer quite a bit of impact without costing too much. I'd love to install it in my legacy,but I'm really looking at going simple with components that will still sound good driven from a headunit.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Make sure that if you use a mid bass in the door that you use a high pass filter and drop anything below 60-70. The speakers end up distorting out because they are trying to push what an actual sub would want to do. I clipped mine at highpass 80 and gave it some power and it really bumped hard enough for you to feel it, but without it being sloppy or 'farting.'

I'm not sure you really need a sub. If you want a fever amount of low frequency you need at least a 10" driver (or an 8" with the proper box, but at that point your taking up more space than a small box 12" driver...) however, if you just want a bit more low end then a good set of components with a soils midbass driver will do the trick. You will need an amp though. I have a CDT component set that i ran in my last car. It craves power, but the little 6.5" midbass drivers dig quite low and offer quite a bit of impact without costing too much. I'd love to install it in my legacy,but I'm really looking at going simple with components that will still sound good driven from a headunit.

Yeah I think that one of the things that I wanted to avoid doing was taking up space (which is why I mentioned possibly being interested in an under-seat sub). I use my trunk quite often and don't want to have to spend the money or use the space to put a large box out there. Maybe a good set of components are a good idea... any suggestions on a brand?

If your willing to run an amp CDT makes great stuff and won't break the bank.

If I was going to run an amp in my legacy I'd install them in a heartbeat.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Check out Elemental Designs for some awesome prices on very good speakers.

Depending on how bad you really want it under your seat, you can get a slim 10" that may work out, or they actually make a 6" sub that with a good box may be exactly what you're looking for. I've always liked a setup with 2 8"s, not too excessive but really fills out my music. No vibrating license plates or annoying the car 6 blocks away from you haha.

Definitely need an amp if you want sub(s) though. CDT makes great stuff as people were mentioning. I'd go with CDT or elemental designs over focal or rainbow if you're not wanting to break the bank but you want something better than alpine/pioneer/kenwood/infinity.

Then again, if you don't want to even step into the amp/new wiring/lot of work systems - you can probably get a set of infinity reference components and run them with the stock deck and you'd have a little more bass and better speakers. Unfortunately usually that first step just makes you crave more and more haha. Pretty soon you're 2500 bucks deep in a system you planned to spend 60 bucks on.

Archived