LegacyGT.com

Observation: romraider vs boost gauge

Deadleave

Yeah, another T should be fine. But maybe you should look into what I suggested too... just have someone sit shotgun and watch RR and the gauge to see how it reads. :) Hard to look at road, both RR and the gauges, and maintain steady boost without putting yourself into some foreign object.

Well the conclusion to this is that the gauge seems to spike high at wot. or hard throttle.

Its stay close with the RR, and the defi gauge at slower boost build, but spikes on peak.

Given that I know somewhat what the delta of error is, I can live with it, as I am not tuning with it but just checking to see that I am making boost, and I can get the alarm accordingly.

Defi stay with RR pretty close, like within 5% its hard to tell to exact looking at analog gauge and comp screen. But peaks seem to be in line too.

The Vent gauge stay with it, as we watched its climb, but at WOT, when we look at logs vs peak values on vent gauge, they are off by a bout 2 psi, on the high side.

ie its read fine, just spike at peak value.

• I Donated
Defi stay with RR pretty close, like within 5% its hard to tell to exact looking at analog gauge and comp screen. But peaks seem to be in line too.

The Vent gauge stay with it, as we watched its climb, but at WOT, when we look at logs vs peak values on vent gauge, they are off by a bout 2 psi, on the high side.

ie its read fine, just spike at peak value.

Weird! I'm wondering if this is transient spikes like lossol says, or a firmware issue?

• 1 month later...

I also have the VBG1 ver 1.04 and have noticed the same issue.

I am on the stock tune, which to my knowledge should be ~13.5psi peak. However, ever since the gauge was installed it has read around 14.5-14.8psi peak.

The only mod at the time was an AVO panel filter.

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed via a firmware update?

I appreciate you sharing this information, I was frightened that there was something wrong mechanically with my car.

If you need help gathering data I can try to help. The only problem is that I need a tune after my exhaust install...

I think there may be a combination of things going on here. As I said in the other thread Every gauge shipped is pre-tested with a digital manometer to an accuracy of +/- 0.25 PSI (up to 30 PSI) I'm not sure what the accuracys are of the other logging equipment you guys are using or how they determine ATM pressure. The VBG1 samples ATM pressure at startup everytime, they others may have a lookup.

Anyhow my point is just that these small differences coupled with the fact that I latch un-averaged samples for peak boost may account for these readings.

As thefultonhow was saying in the future I would like to add the option to filter transient spikes, some like to see the "real" data , some like to see a nicer average. I also plan on getting a real time can bus gauge logging data next to a modified VBG1 spitting out live data so I can compare ECU readings to VBG1 and see this for my self. I'm pretty sure the ECU readings are filtered much more than raw VBG1 readings but it would be nice to quantify it. Who knows, a VBG1-CAN gauge may be built as a by-product.;)

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• I Donated

Cool! I am always impressed by the lengths you go to for customer service. It's something I might expect from a bigger company, but usually not a homebrew vendor.

BTW, everyone I've shown this thing to thinks it's awesome! :)

Once I know how it scales, I know how to mentally accounts for peak value, so not a big deal. Follow up, how does firmware upgrade work ? I have 1.04 if 1.05 released with these filter option, can I just upload upgraded firmware or do I have to get a new unit.

I use the AFR portion more than anything. Plus with my thresholds set it only lights up when its got something relevant to show.

My plan is that starting with Version 1.05 all software will be field up-gradable. Unfortunately the current version is not :( i have been working with those who want upgrades on a one by one basis. Most people find it hard to give up or take out of the car for the two weeks it will take for the upgrade turn-around.

So If I send mine in for 1.05 it will then going forward can be field upgraded ?

or

Is 1.05, a new architecture different from 1.04 on the board level ? that allows the field upgrade ?

Thanks for the support

Yeah that's just it, starting with 1.05 I will have different hardware as well as sw that will support field upgrade.

http://www.glynstore.com/product_images/o/148/TTL-232-AJsmall__18015_std.jpg

I'm envisioning a serial to usb adapter like shown for the upgrade. Hookup to a pc to perform upgrade. versions 1.00 - 1.04 did not have this serial port option installed in the hardware for upgrade.

I regret not having a field upgrade option for these version, the community help contribute a lot of new features hopefully moving forward it will be less cumbersome to run the latest firmware.

Not the aux port - but rather a new serial port plug. Hardware design is not finished yet, however pretty sure it's gonna be a 3.5mm audio plug.

Cost to upgrade is not determined at this time, however I hope to set up a trade in program so if you swap in the old gauge, it can be discounted substantially. I will be able to know better when the hardware design is complete for V1.05

Not the aux port - but rather a new serial port plug. Hardware design is not finished yet, however pretty sure it's gonna be a 3.5mm audio plug.

Cost to upgrade is not determined at this time, however I hope to set up a trade in program so if you swap in the old gauge, it can be discounted substantially. I will be able to know better when the hardware design is complete for V1.05

Sounds AWESOME!

Thanks again for your hard work. The VBG1 is my favorite mod by far!

Archived