LegacyGT.com

My homebrew shift knob adapter

Chief_Wiggum

Hey guys,

Just brought home my new Legacy GT wagon yesterday. Good thing I ordered my Kartboy shifter and Momo knob last week! :lol:

Momo supplies their knobs with one-size-fits-none rubber boots and setscrew knobs. Not so hot when you go through all the trouble to get a short shifter and bushings only to have the nice knob mounted on a rubber bushing with 3 set screws centering the thing. Also, there's no provision for the shift boot.

I turned up this adapter on my lathe. It's a 7075 aluminum bushing that threaded 12x1.25mm on the inside and slip fit on the outside with the Momo knob. Now the setscrews don't do anything but hold the knob on. The bushing allows the knob to bottom on the shaft.

The boot holder is delrin and has a setscrew that holds it up. It matches the dimensions of the stock knob.

This setup feels rock solid and my shift boot stays up!

1.jpg.3de260b1132e77f37093d6813fdb255d.jpg

2.jpg.897067cc676d63bf92aa65a0dae12511.jpg

3.jpg.34077fbaa14db259ef9b3d31b93497af.jpg

4.jpg.ec2161fa3104a4bbeecd376f7bb036a2.jpg

The guy that used to have the adapters for sale at NASIOC (Paulie) is sold out and can't find someone to make him an affordable run of his new design. He is still trying, but if anyone knows of any hookups to get these made, let him know.

Guys, you don't need this at all !!!!!

I have the same knob. I have had it on for 6 months now. All I did. was put the know on (3 set screws hold great), then wrapped some electrical tape over shaft, and pulled plastic boot piece up on tape. You can't see tape at all, and nothing moves. The shift knob stays on fine. Never, any problems. If you look at mine vs. yours, you won't see any difference.

I love this know too. :)

Archived