LegacyGT.com

Kartboy rear shifter bushing

• 8 months later...
Really old thread bump. But I don't actually see many people's thoughts on this? Worth it or not?

I guess it depends if you really dislike the stock feel or if you just wanted to upgrade.

My GT just crossed the 118K mile mark and is 9 years old so I am in the process of replacing most of the bushings throughout the next year or two, so I fell into the category of "just wanted to upgrade old OEM bushing".

I would say it would be WELL worth it....IF....it wasn't a nightmare to get the bolts to line up. Absolutely ridiculous. Seriously.

There is no way in the world that the fitment issue that almost everyone has should be considered normal. I've read that it has to do with tolerance variances with Subaru. Whatever. To be fair, I've read reviews of Cobb and Perrin both having the same fitment issue. I can't believe that with the manufacturing experience between these companies that there can't be some sort of resolution, which leads me to believe that maybe this is as close as they could get and not just an oversight.

It seems some early WRX guys have had no problems with them. If I had to do it again with the Kartboy, I think I would have warmed it up quite a bit with a heat gun to try and get some stretch from the bushing.

But in any case, for me, I am VERY sorry I did not go with the STi Group N mount. It's cheaper and would have provided me with what I was looking for, and that is, a good replacement for the stock 9 year old 118,000 mile bushing. I'd probably still try the STi one if I wasn't afraid I stripped the bolt hole in the chassis itself.

But, it's in and it feels good so I will leave well enough alone. This was the first and will be the last Kartboy product going on my car though. What a drag.

• 2 years later...

my notes on doing this mod this weekend...

1.) heat shield is very easy to pry and bend out of the way, no bolts removed.

2.) even with the first bolt in all the way (or loosened a turn or two) on one side of the rear bushing, it took a pretty good amount of effort to push up on the bushing while threading in the bolt

the difficulty in it is that the new bushing is a bit oversized for a tight fit, so the bolt hole will not line up the bolt directly straight and thus will not thread, even when frustratingly feeling like it is starting to. Just push in on the push and try to thread on with a socket by hand pushing the bolt straight.

3.) 1st gear seems to touch with the STS, but literally ever so slightly that it does not cause any problem

4.) I also pushed out the front linkage bushing with the mounted bolt, somehow it squeezes out of the tight fit.

Overall, just doing the STS made the biggest difference (installed on day one, bushings on day two) so if trying to save money just get that and the install is mostly easy. The bushings do give a more solid feel and after seeing how awful the rear bushing was, I'm glad we upgraded. We purchased the Kartboy kit after test driving the new Si (for fun) and I was once again mesmerized by that perfect Honda gear box and wanted something similar. Still notchy but def quicker and more enjoyable throws.

Archived