LegacyGT.com

Tribeca vs. hypothetical super-Legacy wagon with third row

As stated in my new member intro thread, I've been hunting around for a three-row vehicle that's fun to drive. I test drove a Tribeca as soon as the local dealer could prep one. Not it. What I'd really like is a Legacy GT wagon, but slightly larger with a part-time rear-facing third row.

Anyone else in the same boat? Tribeca working for you? What do people like and dislike about it?

Anyone else want a larger Subaru WAGON (i.e. not a minivan/SUV)?

Larger wagons have had them for years. Wagons from Ford (being discontinued), Mercedes, and Volvo still do. Audi used to, but has discontinued the feature, citing safety concerns.

Assuming the same amount of crush space, though, a rear-facing third row is actually more safe than the forward-facing one in the Tribeca and other small minivans/SUVs. It places vital organs further from the rear of the vehicle and in the event of a head-on collision, the most dangerous sort, passengers are pushed into the seatback rather than being pulled against the belts. It's been known for some time that injuries and deaths in plane crashes would be lower if the seats faced rearward, but they don't because passengers want to face forward.

As for not watching someone rear end you, I'm not sure how this is worse than watching someone hit you head-on from a forward-facing seat. My parents were once in a van (I think the larger, rental car company shuttle type) with a bunch of their friends on a ski trip when they saw an oncoming 18-wheeler wander across the center line some distance away--trucker fell asleep. Narrow mountain road, so no place to go to get out of the way. Watched for quite a few seconds before impact. No fatalities, but some very serious injuries on the left side of the van, especially the van driver. My parents were on the right side.

They still do make A6 wagons, but Audi stopped offering the third row a year or two ago.

Not rude at all. I've looked into these options. A bit large for my taste, but if I had to buy a new wagon to serve as my only car it would probably have to be a V70, preferably the R. I actually prefer the handling of the LGT to the V70 R. And of course I prefer the Subaru's price.

The problem here is that to make a wagon large enough to hold a third row it probably has to be too large for my taste. Hence my current plan to replace my Protege5 with two cars rather than one.

Archived