LegacyGT.com

What's connected just before the muffler?

When I was trying to swap the exhaust on my second gen GT-B (JDM) I noticed there was something connected to the pipe just before the muffler. I wasn't expecting it because there's nowhere for anything to connect to the replacement.

Edit: Found out what it is, quote below.

OK so I got the exhaust out and there is a valve on one of the pipes leading into the muffler.

I've just hooked and bent the cable under the bumper at the moment. Here's a pic...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/hansvonaxion/Legacy/exhaustvalve.jpg

Edit: Found this on Wiki page for the gen 3...

An electronically controlled rear muffler is used to keep the B4 quiet at low road speeds. The pipe that leads into the rear muffler is divided in two, with one pipe equipped with a flapper valve. The ECU - working with an actuator and cable - opens this valve when travelling at medium-to-high road speeds. This increases exhaust gas flow.

Guess it's on the gen 2 also. Should I just leave it as is? Maybe disconnect the actuator?

It was pretty surprising finding it, more at home these days on Astons.

That could be a cheap DIY mod, fix the valve permanently open... wish I'd done it before swapping the muffler to see the affect - the stock pipe is pretty big. If I end up having the put the stock back on for the Shaken (unlikely) I'll open it up then and post the results.

I never knew the twin turbo cars had this!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived