LegacyGT.com

Sound of stock exhaust with DP

YBNormal07

I know I saw a thread where someone had installed a DP and kept the exhaust (or at least the mufflers) stock. I wanted to get some feedback on the sound as I am considering doing the same thing to keep it as quiet as possible.

Thanks!!

mines pretty damn loud for having a stock cat back, but in a good way....id say its in between a stock sti and a sti w/ exhaust in terms of db's

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!! Any chance of sound clips with your setup? Particularly from in the car at about 70 and cruising, or even outside from a distance of about 20 feet, keeping the revs around 4k? My biggest concern is how loud it is in the cabin while on the highway. Basically, I want to be able to hear it for shifting purposes (at a track, ours gets drowned out to easy and I can't hear it)...get a bit of a rumble while accelerating, but then quieting down....thats what I hope for.

Thanks!

edit...forgot to ask...have either of you removed the resonater also? I'm sure that acts basically like a muffler too.

nah no sound clips...i dont have a digital recorder : (

the car is NOT loud or raspy above 3500 or so...it smooths out and is barely noticable

and yes my resonator is removed

Ok...you settled it for me. It's the common sense approach anyway. I'll mate up the DP, fab out the resonater, and go from there. Thanks!

take it from me, if you do a cat-less downpipe, and keep stock exhaust, it will sound like total ass. meaning, raspy. People will hate you for reving, it will be embarassing. It is the tiny y-pipe that is the cause of this. Custom cat-back should alieviate the raspy-crap-sound.

Just my 2cents,

-Rob

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

You can go to a muffler shop and get a custom catback made for about 300 bucks. Dynomax mufflers, or what-have you... Although I like dual tips, It was easier to just make a single tip'ed exhaust for my car than weld up a y-pipe... plus it's not as restrictive as a y and dual mufflers. Dual tips is nice to keep the sleeper factor in place.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Archived