LegacyGT.com

Detailed Engines Thread

• 2 weeks later...
Asked and answered many times, but here it is... Avoid the alternator with anything combustible or flamable. Also avoid any exposed electrical connections or fuse boxes. Just use common sense. You can pretty much just avoid everything you don't want to get wet, but if you want to cover things like HID ballasts or exposed filters, then that is fine. The engine isn't made of sugar and it won't melt if it gets wet. If it were really that critical it stay dry then they would seal the whole compartment. Just use common sense...

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
Great work! CD2 is pretty sweet stuff, right? It looks best after you have run your engine for awhile and 'baked' it a bit. I spray it on heavy and then let the engine idle for 20 minutes or so. Then I go back in and buff off any puddles or drips. It looks great and won't attract dust or anything. Not that it won't get dirty, but it isn't a dust magnet like if you used just tire shine or some other interior protectant.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Have any of you guys tried steam cleaning your engines? I got a portable steamer for this purpose, but I have yet to give it a try. It works great on my grill and inside my apartment though!

I would think that using degreaser and a little pressure to rinse it off would work better, but steam would definitely loosen it up a lot. It isn't a one stop solution though. You'll still have to get your hands dirty even if you use that method.

What I like to do is wash the engine and then let it run for a while. The engine will heat up the water in there and essentially help steam clean the rest. Then when you pop it open you can more easily get the areas that didn't get clean with just the degreaser and water alone.

I would suggest to just spray some water in there after the engine is already hot and let that steam go to work, but we know that it isn't a good idea to throw cold water on a hot engine. I can't say I haven't done it before though...

OCDETAILS BLOG

Great work! CD2 is pretty sweet stuff, right? It looks best after you have run your engine for awhile and 'baked' it a bit. I spray it on heavy and then let the engine idle for 20 minutes or so. Then I go back in and buff off any puddles or drips. It looks great and won't attract dust or anything. Not that it won't get dirty, but it isn't a dust magnet like if you used just tire shine or some other interior protectant.

Thanks OCD, I've been wanting to do this for a long time now. Thanks again for all your advice. It looks good. Now I'm trying to do my 2003 Corolla which is really dirty ... but it looking better now. The only down side is I've got to go and get the cars sprayed for rust proof for the winter season soon. Oh well, now I know how to do it, I'll clean again next Spring.

Archived