LegacyGT.com

Car suggestions

Not for me, but for my friend. Being 16 and in high school your car is a big deal, so i need some suggestions for cars for a teenager, not FWD, not a honda civic, thats 4 door, prefered to be awd and have a turbo (turbo isnt that important), all for under about $10k and looks pretty good. He wants something that can beat my car so of course an STi or Evo, which i cant blame him i did too, but that was before i found my legacy. I want him to have something nice but not draw too much attention for cops and such

I am not sure but being 16 wouldn't driving a turbo charged car be quite heavy on his insurance? If he prefers AWD, there are only so many cars out there; STi, Evo, BMW X-drives, Volvo, Infinity and Lexus. Since his budget is below $10,000, he has to look for a relatively high mileage and an older generation car.

Personally, I think it is more important to consider about paying for the upkeep of the car rather than the cost of the car. Maybe you should ask him to add in those factors.

A Legacy is a good car, but if he just wants to have fun and cheap a Miata can be on the list too.

However at that age he should consider a simple and cheap car that's reliable and relatively safe. Make mistakes and learn with something cheap. There will be dents, there will be other mishaps and so on so a rather common car is what to go for. Toyota Corolla for example.

And forget the non-FWD clause for a first car.

453747.png

A Legacy is a good car, but if he just wants to have fun and cheap a Miata can be on the list too.

However at that age he should consider a simple and cheap car that's reliable and relatively safe. Make mistakes and learn with something cheap. There will be dents, there will be other mishaps and so on so a rather common car is what to go for. Toyota Corolla for example.

And forget the non-FWD clause for a first car.

^^^^This

He may not think this now, but a car is not that important. Get something reliable and safe. He may think he is the next Senna after playing Forza for 100 hours but he is a new driver and doesn't know $h1t about driving in the real world yet. He or more likely his parents won't be able to afford the insurance on anything performance oriented anyway.

I have just the solution to this problem. It has a large displacement turbo charged diesel engine. It has a lot of seats for him and all his friends. He'll even have his own driver. It is a bus.

Your friend doesn't know how to drive. He should be in something safe, reliable, and easy to fix himself.

I'd probably try to find a good mileage second-gen Legacy. And get a 5-speed. I'm forever grateful that my parents took the time to teach me to drive stick.

He's an idiot if he thinks an EVO or STi is a good idea as a first car. Unfortunately, he'd probably learn that lesson after the car is wrapped around something immobile.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

No turbo, his insurance will be crazy. Being inexperienced he should consider something that will take some banging up and be cheap to maintain. Sorry but I think a Civic coupe is what he should get.

F-in up a Civic or a Corolla - well - there's always another one that you can get for nothing on Ebay or around the corner. Finding a good STi is a challenge.

Even an old Volvo works fine.

453747.png

all for under about $10k and looks pretty good.

What ever happened to "first cars" being under $1k?? (Mine was only $900) You buy a POS as your first car...work to save for your 2nd car, and appreciate it all that much more knowing what your first car was. :spin:

What ever happened to "first cars" being under $1k?? (Mine was only $900) You buy a POS as your first car...work to save for your 2nd car, and appreciate it all that much more knowing what your first car was. :spin:

$400.00 bucks bought me my first caaa. :lol:

A cheap car + mods can be more fun than an expensive car. At least you will have a lot more angst when the expensive car dies than when the cheap one dies.

I had an old '64 Volvo Wagon as first car and that received a lot of minor mods - overdrive gearbox with short gearstick instead of the meter long stick, dual SU carburetors, heavily modded electrical system, change to disc brakes instead of drum brakes etc... I did learn a lot when it comes to fixing problems with that car. I never reached the change of camshaft point.

So long as he will have the money for a head gasket job.

Are the NA cars suffering too? I thought it was mostly the turbo cars, but if it has a 2.2 liter it should be safe too.

453747.png

So long as he will have the money for a head gasket job.

EJ22's and EJ18's are practically immune to HG problems. The EJ22 is easily the best, most reliable motor Subaru ever built.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

02 WRX's can be had for less than $10k, but i hear they're killer on insurance.

I got my camaro z28 when I was 17; people said insurance would be bad, but it wasn't since it was in my mom's name. Yes, WRX's are faster than my old t-top camaro was, but they have many more safety features, which play a part in insurance costs.

For $10k, I'd focus on something safe, reliable, and not too expensive to insure for a 16-year-old pimple factory. That means no bug-eye WRX sedans. :lol: Something like an early 2000s C-class Mercedes, mid-2000s Legacies, or, if FWD is okay, Accords, Camries, Altimas, etc.

Archived