LegacyGT.com

Need info on the Second Gen Legacy 2.5GT

I have some questions before I select a good 2.5GT. First off, I'm willing to spend around 5k on a good condition Legacy.

I have only come across one 5spd out of 100 cars. Is it that much of a difference when driving...and later doing a swap for the WRX components?

Is there a huge difference in the regular "L" vs. The 2.5GT AWD system?

I've seen several 2.5GT's with either cloth or leather seats. What does the consensus say on which is a better deal? What is with the two tone "Outback" version of the Legacy (looks like it has a higher clearance and round rally lights with the outback front end).

The 30th anniversary Legacy 2.5GT have anything else that sets it apart?

On the old sound systems I've seen 3 different types. Do they come with more speaker connections vs the base models with the lower end audio?

What is the deal with "blown heads" on these cars anyways? Are they prone?

If a private seller says he replaced the head gasket and has a new water pump on it should I be worried?

Any and all input is valuable! Hit me up with your knowledge.

I will close on a deal here in the next month and a half.

-Texas

my understanding is that the drivetrain in the L and GT is the same. the outback has a little bit more clearance and is marketed as a more economical alternative to a 4x4 suv. sound is either single din tape, or double din, some cars are equipped with tweeters which are on the door "sail" between the front windows and the dash. the 2.5 is known for having bad head gaskets, and mass destruction from a timing belt. the 2.2 is known for its reliability but has 20 horsepower less than the 2.5.

If you're planning on doing a wrx swap most of these questions won't matter because you will probably be swapping the interior and getting a new sound system anyway. I would suggest starting with a manual with little or no rust and upgrade from there.

Matt

Archived