LegacyGT.com

Clutch Noise

DoDo1975

Hi,

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd 5MT. 120k km.

Recently, when engaging the clutch I am hearing a slight gringing/chattering noise. THere isn't any clutch slippage, just the noise. It occurs when I am stopped, or when driving.

I have read something about the TOB possibly being the problem, but before getting some quotes hoping someone can shed some more light on the issue.

If I get the clutch replaced, does the TOB get replaced also? What is this likely to be? do I have a week or two to get it fixed or am I taking chances driving it?

Much THanks,

Yep sounds like a bad TOB. I had the same problem which forced me to replace my clutch. if you doing the work to replace the TOB it doesnt pay not to replace the clutch being the labor is the same. Look into getting the TSK3 kit when you replace. I rode on my bad TOB for months so a couple weeks should be fine however if the TOB goes completely you won't be able to engage/get into gear. The bad TOB will be wearing out your tranny snout though(this is what the TSK3 kit repairs/prevents in the future).

Way too much! Where are you located? You should go to the area specific forums and ask around for reputable shops to get work done. I got a new '07+ oem clutch set up with a new single mass flywheel (this will save you some $) and the TSK3 kit installed for half that cost.

Kelowna, BC Canada

They originally quoted $1200 for the OEM kit and then called me an left message on machine that says it will cost $200 extra. I think this is atrocious and haven't authorized them to take delivery of the parts yet, even though they ordered them.

How can I get data to find what kits should cost. I looked up the kit and found site that claimed OEM clutch kit for my car was $950, but haven't been able to verify that.

Archived