LegacyGT.com

steering wheel shaking

ok so last saturday went and got my wheels rotated and balanced again to c if that solved my problem. they where out of balance and the front drivers side especially 2.6 ounces but now its not really my steering wheel shaking. its better but now the car is vibrating more in the rear now!! so much so i can look at my passenger seat and see it shaking and can feel it in wheel. if i have something in my cup holder that will shake also. CANT ANYBODY DO SHIT RIGHT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is something that good balancers will do and that's called road force. basically its a measurement of how egg-shaped or oblong the tire gets when rolling at speed. your balance can say that it is dead on but the road force can be way out. anything over 25 lbs of roadforce will usually cause a vibe. ask your shop if they checked that. if it vibes in the wheel, the front are out. vibes felt in your seat are from the rear.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

OK, so last Saturday I went and had my wheels rotated and balanced again to see if that solved my problem. They were out of balance - the front drivers side was especially bad at 2.6 ounces off. [Editor's Note #1] At this point the shaking has moved from the front of the car to the rear, as indicated by the improvement in steering wheel feeling. So much so that I can see my passenger seat visibly shaking and can still feel it in steering wheel [Editor's Note #2]. It's bad enough that if I have something in my cup holder that will shake. CAN'T ANYBODY DO SHIT RIGHT ANY MORE?

In light of the last sentence in this post, I'll just leave this here.

Editor's note #1: I gave up and did a complete rewrite here.

Editor's note #2: Although in the original version of the post these few sentences directly contradicted each other and were likely a source of confusion when attempting to describe the issue to Discount Tire, I've attempted to make sense of them. Please forgive any inaccuracies.

The irony of the post in question was so thick and delicious I could cut it with a knife and devour it. For what it's worth, I agree with everybody else; it's your tires. Have the car road-force balanced or return the tires.

oh ok lol i just wanted to be as thorough as possible and it all didnt come out as well as i wanted but i was goin on 13 hour of work then at the end of my shift when i wrote that lol. i did happen to get back to discount and i have 2 bent rims one is bent just a little and the other is not real bad but not so much so where i dont think it cant be repaired.

thanks everyone for your help!! :)

Archived